Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am just venturing into homeschooling and trying to figure out what method of teaching and learning would be best for my family has me at a loss. Theres so much information and I am just completely overwhelmed!

How did you know what method was right for your family?

by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Replies (11-16):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM

We're eclectic with an emphasis on reading and experimentation. My kids are a bit younger, though. Good luck!

oredeb
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM

when i started there was only homeschooling, no methods, but i didnt have enough money to buy curriculum that was around(abeka and bju) so i started making my own stuff(which is called unit studies now)

but here is a list of some types of homeschooling and how they go about doing it

Popular Methods and Philosophies:
Unit Studies
Charlotte Mason
Classical Education
Delayed Instruction
Eclectic Homeschooling
Montessori Homeschooling
Waldorf Homeschooling
Enki Homeschooling
The Moore Formula
Thomas Jefferson Education
Holistic and Alternative Homeschooling
Unschooling / Self-Directed Learning
Independent Research / Self-Directed Learning
School-at-Home / Public e-School
Distance Learning as an Umbrella/Cover School
Distance Learning for Gifted Enrichment
Cyber Schools / Online Academies
also here is a learning styles quiz that might help you and the kids

http://www.homeschoolviews.com/quiz/quiz.html

Homeschool Views Quiz Page

Everyone's learning style is as different as his or her personality. Our specially designed quizzes will aid you in identifying your child's learning style, as well as your own. This will help you to tailor your teaching in a way that best fits your child, and understanding your own approach to learning will illuminate the differences and similarities between you and your child. Discovering how your family learns will uncover both weaknesses and strengths; use this knowledge as the all-important resource that it is.

Child Learning Style Quiz
This quiz will help you understand your child's learning style.

Adult Learning Style Quiz
Here you can discover your own learning style.

Teaching Style Quiz
This quiz will help you understand how your teaching style fits best with your children by outlining the curriculum options that will work the best for your homeschoolers.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I have never really had a method. I just wrote down what I wanted the kids to learn and used the internet and my printer like it was going out of style.  We have also bought used books that were appropriate to the subject  or subjects we were teaching at the time.  I used activity books from the store for school use and for anytime use. The kids always loved it when they could pick up their books and work just because they wanted to.  We watched programs on things everyone wanted to learn about. Had conversations on various subjects.  When you realize that homeschooling is an adventure in life, you also realize how much enjoyment homeschooling really is. For yourself, for your kids and for the entire family as a whole.  : )  

cryscrab
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:59 PM

This is exactly what I want for my family! After days of being sick to my stomache about it, I am FINALLY over the "Oh my gosh, can I do this" stage and am thrilled to be beginning our homeschool adventure!

Quoting kirbymom:

I have never really had a method. I just wrote down what I wanted the kids to learn and used the internet and my printer like it was going out of style.  We have also bought used books that were appropriate to the subject  or subjects we were teaching at the time.  I used activity books from the store for school use and for anytime use. The kids always loved it when they could pick up their books and work just because they wanted to.  We watched programs on things everyone wanted to learn about. Had conversations on various subjects.  When you realize that homeschooling is an adventure in life, you also realize how much enjoyment homeschooling really is. For yourself, for your kids and for the entire family as a whole.  : )  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 3, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Thats awesome! You have decided on how you want to homeschool. Now you decide where you want you kids to learn. I tried to let them go wherever but they couldn't stay focused enough to do amy schooling so I designated a place and made sure that everyone was comfortable with maybe some background music or some background tv with the history channel or TLC on on low volume. Then I eventually made a schoolroom as they kept asking for desks since there didn't seem to be enough room to stretch where they were. lol  

Quoting cryscrab:

This is exactly what I want for my family! After days of being sick to my stomache about it, I am FINALLY over the "Oh my gosh, can I do this" stage and am thrilled to be beginning our homeschool adventure!

Quoting kirbymom:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Quoting cryscrab:

That's great! The best thing you can do is spend minimal $$ and just try a few things out. The first year is all about experimentation!

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)