Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Changes for the upcoming school year....

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM
  • 9 Replies

include my 14-year-old son choosing to attend PS.  He and I have had several discussions about this and he has made up his mind.  He's tired of dealing with his older brother at home, doing homeschooling, and wants to be with his friends and aquaintances(some of whom attend our school district) more often. As much as I'd like to see him continue homeschool, I'm thinking PS might be a better fit for him, especially since he  has progressively declined to do work and complete his work at home anyway, so that is a stress for me that I don't need. Our school district isn't the 'best' one in the area, but looks like we'll see how it goes....

For those of you who've homeschooled up through 8th grade and sent your child to PS for high school, how was the transistion for you, the pros and cons, etc?

by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom2theboy1994
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM

We actually home-schooled for 7th and 8th grade, and allowed our son to go to public school for 9th grade. He had to test in, which was no big deal, but otherwise there wasn't an issue.

Two and a half years later, he came back home to home-school (1/2 way through 11th grade.) We started "Senior Year" today. :)

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM

My kids are elementary so I have not had this happen to me yet.  But I have a good friend that did hs for 10+ years with 3 boys.  One day her oldest(high school)  said NO MORE.   She told me if he didn't want to learn from her anymore she wanted him learning somewhere.  Off he went to ps and everything went really well for them.  The teachers were impressed with his skills and desire to learn.  He got straight A's.  The following year she sent her younger 2 and same thing...no problems.  Every child is different.  You have to make a decision based on what is best for your family.  (If it were my kids I wouldn't be in a hurry to let them go to ps....that's just me and my kids)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM

My kids are still young but here is a bump!!

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I homeschooled dd(15) from 3rd to 8th grade.  She started at the high school of her dreams in 9th grade and the transition was fine.  She loved it from day 1.  She just finished sophomore year and still loves it more than anything.  She has tons of friends and is fine with the work.  We stepped things up in 8th grade to get her ready for a heavier workload and I made sure she had lots of practice with the NYC subway lines.  

I'm sure your son will be fine.  It makes a big difference when it's his choice to go, rather than you making him go.  I just told dd that she has to learn to play the game - follow the rules and always do your best. 

Angela

dd(18) Freshman in college, dd(15) Sophomore at the (real) Fame school,                                               ds(11) 5th Grade homeschooler

Visit my Blog

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM

All of my kids have never even seen the inside of a public school.  I have my first graduate this year too.  Yay!  : )

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 4, 2012 at 6:53 PM
Bump :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceChild
by Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Well, here's hoping he likes the school, ninth grade, and manages well amongst his peers.  He made the decision to go to PS after all. And since it's his decision, instead of me forcing him to go, I imagine it'll all work out...hoping anyway.:)

melindabelcher
by Mel on Jul. 7, 2012 at 5:19 PM
I was homeschooled until 8th grade attended private christian for 2 years transfered to PS in the 10th grade. I was in all advanced classes and learning things I had learned 2 years earlier. It want until senior year that the material was new and it was presented in such a dumb down way that it still wasn't challenging
I recommend asking to see text books and curriculum to make sure it well be appropriate for your childs grade level
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Well, whether he does like it or not, You can be proud of him for learning how to make a decision on his own. That is a great accomplishment in and of itself.  From the sounds of it, he will do just fine too. :)  You tell him we're pulling for him whichever way this turns out.  :)

Quoting PeaceChild:

Well, here's hoping he likes the school, ninth grade, and manages well amongst his peers.  He made the decision to go to PS after all. And since it's his decision, instead of me forcing him to go, I imagine it'll all work out...hoping anyway.:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)