Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

All About Reading?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi all,

I am new to all of this. I just graduated from college and am thrilled because this will be my first FULL year home with my children. I have never worked, but I had school anywhere from 3-5 days a week so I was really informal with schooling. 

I want to start working on reading skills with my 4 year old. I have heard great reviews from All About Reading and All About Spelling. I saw on the website they had a pre reading program, and wondered if any of you moms have tried it?

http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/all-about-reading-level-pre-1-deluxe-package/ 

I know a kit probably is not necessary, but I do like the idea of just being able to grab it and go do a lesson in our spare time. The reviews on the site were all positive, but I love hearing from moms who homeschool. I have a 2 year old also, but since this is just prereading skills I figure he could benefit as well. 

-Lindsey 

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

ive never used it, but it looks good!!(im looking at the first grade stuff)

i like the magnets, and the cd!  they teach like i taught my kids, but i had to make up my own little books and and used refrigerator magnets and index cards

looks good to me! on sale for 99 dollars looks like, expensive, but looks easy to teach, and you can use it on lots of kids! even if you just bought the 28 dollar pkg you could make it work!, you can get an idea of what the teachers manual is about just from the sample if you'd need it or not.

the preschool looks kinda fun also, tells ya step by step what to do

heres a review i found: http://oneblessedmamma.blogspot.com/2012/02/all-about-reading-review.html

and another

http://www.hiphomeschoolmoms.com/2012/05/all-about-reading-review-giveaway/

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Bump! I know lots of people use it.

oredeb
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

moms really seem to like this program, havent read anything negative yet

gacgbaker
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Looks pretty good to me, but I don't have any experience with it first hand.

Mommy_Natural
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Thank you ladies!! I am glad most people have heard positive reviews. I think I might just buy it because like some of you mentioned I can use it on multiple kids. :)

Another question, have any of you bought online subscriptions to sites such as starfall or ABCmouse? My daughter does the free things on Starfall now on occasion, but I noticed a lot of the things she wants to try you have to pay for. Not sure if it was worth it or not. 

avonleajules1
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM
2 moms liked this

I am currently doing AAR pre-1 with my 4-year-old son. My daughter is 7 and now reading at a 5th grade level, but we had a hard time finding a phonics program that she liked especially at the pre-reading stage.My son is really enjoying this program. Every day he wants to show Daddy what he learned and often askes to do the activities repeatedly throughout the day. Ziggy is a highlight and he only comes out during reading time.

Mommy_Natural
by New Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Thank you for the response! That is so good to hear. I can't wait to order it now. :)

Quoting avonleajules1:

I am currently doing AAR pre-1 with my 4-year-old son. My daughter is 7 and now reading at a 5th grade level, but we had a hard time finding a phonics program that she liked especially at the pre-reading stage.My son is really enjoying this program. Every day he wants to show Daddy what he learned and often askes to do the activities repeatedly throughout the day. Ziggy is a highlight and he only comes out during reading time.

sweetserenit292
by Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I have invested in quite a bit of different things and wish I had found All About Pre- Reading / reading/ spelling first.  My oldest will  turn 5 in July and start K this year.  I heard about AAR and AAS  and decided I would give it a try.  I Love It..... the material is already printed and ready to be used, basically like letter of the week or day concept but sooo much more added in without it feeling like it is added in.   It is clear, concise and to the point.  I like how they incorporate rhyming into the lessons and it is a hands on approach to learning.  We only did a few lessons before we took a break for summer and arrival of a new baby, but we will continue with the program again in August.  My kids ages 4 and 3 love it too!  The cost is a little scary not knowing if you will like it or not, but I do believe they offer a money back guarantee.  

oredeb
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

i read some where they  have up to a year money back guarantee

also ive been looking for it used and cant find any part of it so far, so that must mean moms really like it and dont want to get rid of it!! do ya think?

Quoting sweetserenit292:

I have invested in quite a bit of different things and wish I had found All About Pre- Reading / reading/ spelling first.  My oldest will  turn 5 in July and start K this year.  I heard about AAR and AAS  and decided I would give it a try.  I Love It..... the material is already printed and ready to be used, basically like letter of the week or day concept but sooo much more added in without it feeling like it is added in.   It is clear, concise and to the point.  I like how they incorporate rhyming into the lessons and it is a hands on approach to learning.  We only did a few lessons before we took a break for summer and arrival of a new baby, but we will continue with the program again in August.  My kids ages 4 and 3 love it too!  The cost is a little scary not knowing if you will like it or not, but I do believe they offer a money back guarantee.  

Mommy_Natural
by New Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Thank you! That is awesome...I am so looking forward to buying it and starting it with my 4 year old, and my almost 3 year old. :)

Quoting sweetserenit292:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN