Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Animal project help!

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM
  • 17 Replies

My son wants to do an animal project he has picked tigers now I want to put a work sheet to help him do the project (he is 7) not Homeschooled but I wanted to keep up his studies during the summer....so he decided to do an animal project, a event (he picked ww2) and a person (Terry fox a Canadian)

Now how do I go around doing this where its still fun but gets him ready for grade 2)

Thinking of a work sheet simple (habitat, markings, diet, threats) and having a mat he has to colour where they are found..just not sure...

This is all his idea...he wants to learn lots this summer so he doesnt feel stupid come september..(which broke my heart a little)

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gacgbaker
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:58 PM

It seems to help keep it fun if you can incorperate all the senses while you learn- seeing, hearing, touching, smelling (that one not as much with some projects, lol!), and speaking.  Maybe do a poster and have him collect facts- you could go to the zoo to see a tiger and gather information there, after all the facts are gathered, he can present the report to the family and finish up with a tiger themed party or something of that nature.

oredeb
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 3:01 PM

awwww poor kid, maybe you need to homeschool him???

he could start writing a story, draw some pictures of the person and event, and write about it

heres some worksheets

https://www.google.com/search?q=tigers+worksheets&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=9D_zT4CcAceJrAHWxKHhAw&sqi=2&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1344&bih=695

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM

For WW2 I would go to any military museums that are close to you or see if the museums close to you have a display of military stuff pertaining to WW2. Also some old movies set in WW2 that have the historical part right. Get books from the library about WW2.

For the person I would search the biography of him & see if he has been in any movies or TV shows that your son can watch. Find out what the guys favorite meal is & have your son help you cook it one night. You can even go farther with this & have him learn about where the guy grew up & the time period he grew up in & how it is different then now. Talk to him about dose he think he would like the guy in real life as a kid & as an adult.

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Thants for the replies...I am really looking into homeschooling...my son loves the social aspect of it..but he doesnt always understand social cues..like if someone walks away (normally means Im bored) he just follows and keeps talking.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 3, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Here is a link to some information about Terry Fox it is wikipedia but it is a start to what you might be able to find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Fox

jenkosweet
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

all ofthese ideas are great, we like to do scavenger hunts at our house, so research the museums you might go to and find some easy (and a few harder) things for him to look for on his own. that will make hime notice other things that usually would go unseen and you can spend some time talking about the things he found. 

if you have a video camera and some tiger plushies or toys you can look up some facts and make your own 'national geographic' film together. that would be a fun keepsake for everyone :)

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know any kid at that age that gets social cues like that, especially if the child is talking about something they are passionate about.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Thants for the replies...I am really looking into homeschooling...my son loves the social aspect of it..but he doesnt always understand social cues..like if someone walks away (normally means Im bored) he just follows and keeps talking.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

What great & fun ideas! I am so going to have to remember to do this with my kids they would love both of them.

Quoting jenkosweet:

all ofthese ideas are great, we like to do scavenger hunts at our house, so research the museums you might go to and find some easy (and a few harder) things for him to look for on his own. that will make hime notice other things that usually would go unseen and you can spend some time talking about the things he found. 

if you have a video camera and some tiger plushies or toys you can look up some facts and make your own 'national geographic' film together. that would be a fun keepsake for everyone :)

oredeb
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM

hahahah i thought she meant terri the fox!hahahah

Quoting usmom3:

Here is a link to some information about Terry Fox it is wikipedia but it is a start to what you might be able to find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Fox

ablessedlife
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 7:20 PM
Are you sure you want to do WW2 with a 7 yo? I mean, the subject is so heavy and depressing. Just thought I'd mention that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN