Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wish August would get here already!

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM
  • 7 Replies

Not because I am wishing summer away but because that's when DH is giving me the money to order our curriculum and I am SICK of changing my mind or doubting what I chose! LOL

I had originally chosen McRuffy but now I am considering using Alpha Phonics with supplements again or using Progressive Phonics for my kindergartner.  I am thinking about starting earlier that planned so I can get in a few weeks of one of these programs that way if I don't like it, we can switch over to McRuffy in September without setting our year off track... 

Do any of you have experience with Alpha Phonics? I have read good things but it looks like it may need some supplements? It just seems like reading the couple sentences on the page would be enough???

Progressive phonics is completely free which is nices (except I will be printing everything) and I worry about when you read the books a few times it is going to become memorization rather than reading.  It has really good reviews as far as I can find as well.  It sure would be nicer to go with a cheaper program if possible.

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
melindabelcher
by Mel on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Lolz. Sounds like you need until august to figure it out. Lol :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

oh  i remember alpha phonics from years and years ago! i had friends who used it then, they loved it, looks pretty simple to teach and it must be good if its still around!

have you looked at 'all about reading'? looks like a nice program also!! oh no i just added another one to your list!!

wow with all these phonics programs i think im gona start making a list!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Lol, the usual HS summer dilema! Good luck!
Channell07
by Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Oh no! Another one! LOL.. I am actually really liking the looks of that! haha.. May just go ahead and start comparing it and Mcruffy and bite the bullet and buy one of them! haha.. Both can be reused next year with new consumables and I LOVE that AAR has a year guarantee!

Quoting oredeb:

oh  i remember alpha phonics from years and years ago! i had friends who used it then, they loved it, looks pretty simple to teach and it must be good if its still around!

have you looked at 'all about reading'? looks like a nice program also!! oh no i just added another one to your list!!

oredeb
by debbie on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM

hahahahah i know what you mean!! i dont have any little ones but i might get it for a friend that has some!hahahaha ive been trying to find it used and cant find it anywhere! so it must be liked a lot!hahaha

Quoting Channell07:

Oh no! Another one! LOL.. I am actually really liking the looks of that! haha.. May just go ahead and start comparing it and Mcruffy and bite the bullet and buy one of them! haha.. Both can be reused next year with new consumables and I LOVE that AAR has a year guarantee!

Quoting oredeb:

Channell07
by Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Same thing I am thinking as I have been looking for it used as well!  Either that or they use the 1 year guarantee?  lol... I'm kind of getting hooked on the idea of AAR after doing some research today, I am thinking thats the direction I am leaning now!

Quoting oredeb:

hahahahah i know what you mean!! i dont have any little ones but i might get it for a friend that has some!hahahaha ive been trying to find it used and cant find it anywhere! so it must be liked a lot!hahaha

Quoting Channell07:

Quoting oredeb:

Shari55
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Well I wish August would get here for another reason...it is my youngest 18th and my ...we aren't going there birthdays. Also we are starting her last year of school  of school.

Shari,  not just a wife, mom, grandma, I am also a daycare provider and a Kindergarten teacher

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)