Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Math Curriculum

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM
  • 7 Replies

I had posted before about this being my first year homeschooling. At first I was lost when trying to figure out what to teach and how to go about it. After researching, I have decided to go the Unit Study route, which I am really excited about.

Now that I have that figured out, I am stuck on math. From what I gather it may be best to use a separate math curriculum. So my question is, what do you ladies think is the best and most cost efficient? My children would be going into the 8th, 7th, and 3rd grades.

Thanks for all your help!

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
melindabelcher
by Mel on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:43 AM
No experience with anything other then abeka.
Just curious are you following a written unit study, if so which one? or doing your own?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:48 AM

oh i can answer that one!hahahah we use unit studies here also

and for math we have always used saxon math,

and for lang. arts we use rod and staff(christian) i love the lang arts they learn so much from it! short and simple!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Www.khanacademy, it free!
Liamoondancer
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

We used Horizons Math for Grades 1-3, but  are now using Teaching Textbooks for Grade 4.  I love it!      It frees me up to work with the younger children, as well!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I write my own curriculum for every subject.   

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM

We have done Saxon (K), ACE (1-2 grades), and Teaching Textbooks (3rd grade). All had some benefits, some drawbacks.

Saxon K is different than the other levels of Saxon so I can't say how it is for upper grades. I am personally not a fan of it. ACE is good but requires a LOT of parent help. TT is good if your child can work independently but we had a ton of technical issues (they had to send us a new CD, and they have a 2-page list of errors in both the textbook and the CD's lessons - I don't want to pay $ for something they know is wrong, yk?).

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM
I swear by Math u See for the basics...the first 5 years Primer (kinder) ...add, subtract, multiply and dividing...no better way to get the basics down.

After that it depends on the student. DS1 did great with it all the way through algebra. I would have taken him higher with it but he was getting bored and is returning to public high school in the fall.

Ds2 needed something spiral because he tends to lock up and panic if something is too hard. We switched to teaching tectbooks so we could switch it up and come back to something a second time if he got stuck. It was a good change for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN