Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Kindergarten handwriting and phonics

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:30 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hey everyone! I am going to have a kindergartner in the fall and I was wanting some input on phonics and handwriting programs that you used and liked. Thanks so much!

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I use ABCmouse.com. It has printables and learning games on the computer for them. My son has learned so much. I've also purchased a few workbooks and I use the letter of the week lesson plan as well.

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:29 AM

For phonics we actually started early and used the leap frog DVD's.  My DD learned her letters and sounds at 18 mos.  She started reading more than a month before her 4th birthday.  She has been sounding out letters for words for over 2 years, but finally started blending them about 6 weeks ago.  Currently we are using the Abeka phonics and handwritting and she is doing very well with it in their K4 program.  Just something to look at.

oredeb
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:30 AM

hi intlmom!!! kindergartners are fun!!! we have a post going on right now on 'all about reading' for phonics if you wana look at that, just look for the post titled 'all about reading'

but i use ruth beechicks little booklet'a homestart in reading'to help me with my kids

and for kinder for handwriting we just painted on large paper, made circles, lines, scribbled and pounded nails into wood! then when i felt the young one was ready we started with italic printing

then theres starfall.com

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Hm, I agree with starfall.com and we just got lots of cheap little work books from Walmart to do. Rhyming is a big help so find some books that have a lot of that. It really helps.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:31 PM
I am a huge fan of 'teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons' it is 15-20 minutes a day and they learn the letters, numbers, writing and reading all in 100 lessons.
My oldest ds(6 at the time) was really struggling with learning to read, and we tried a few different programs. This book helped him so much. It just clicked for us.
Dd (had just turned 4 when we started) and she has had zero issues with it. She is almost 5 now and we have taken time off here and there..one time we had to stop and wait for her little brain to be ready to moce on...she is about half way through. She will start 'kindergarten' this August here at home.
Teach your child to read has been great for out family. It is cheap, easy and effective. :) plus I love that it is all in one, just one book to buy. I just keep a bookmark with each childs name on it. They are both using it right now. Def keeping this book around for our third child. Best school book investment yet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)