Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Anyone strongly recommend an elementary curriculum? I Should've purchased a curriculum by now but I am now uncertain which one I should buy for my three kids. (2nd grader, 1st grader-but will need phonics/reading help, and preschooler)
I would like to try the same program for all 3 this year, since it is my first year HSing.
My oldest spend their first years at a private school using A-Beka. Not sure if I should continue this one or not!
What do you recommend, as I will be teaching 3 of them every day.
Thank you so much in advance!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Replies (11-15):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I just build my own with books and whatever else I find.

supermom2xlb
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM

We do everything on lessonpathways.com. It's completely free and wonderful :)

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I also do not use boxed curriculum.  I recommend and use Ring Around The Phonics for reading, Phonics and language arts.  It allows you to teach up to 4 children at the same time even if on different levels or subjects. 

FLORIDAmom850
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I am new to homeschooling as well.  if you are doing christ homeschooling tapestry of Grace i heard is good an i am going to use it this year.READ THEIR WEBSITE BEFORE GETTING IT THOUGH there are a lot of things that you should know about it.

1. pick and choose what they learn.there is so much info that its impossible for them to learn it all

2.Very different way of teaching.

3.does not include science, math and language arts or somthing like that?

My kids are in 1st and 3r gradebut they are really at the K level and 2nd grade level still.

PinkButterfly66
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 4:26 PM

There are some great workbooks online at Amazon.  When I had to homeschool my daughter in 3rd grade (disasterous 1.5 years at a Waldorf school), I followed our state's SOL curriculum guidelines and either purchased workbooks from Amazon or looked online for material.  The spelling and language arts was easy, as there were lots of workbooks available.  Math was easy too .. again workbooks.  Your kids are at the age where there are tons of workbooks for them to use.   Look at your state's SOL curriculum for topics in history and science.  There some really good books at the library for that and you can get some books on science experiments for science.    Oh, also, look at Time4Learning.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN