Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New Here...

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:16 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi - My name is Stefanie and I have 5 year old twins named Jake and Luke. I just joined Cafemom and found this group. I have decided to homeschool my sons starting in the fall (Kindergarten) and I'm just looking for families who are doing similar and trying to get a handle on where to begin and different methods to try.

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Welcome to the group! Kindergarten is so easy to do, you don't need to spend a lot on a curriculum because there is so much free stuff on the Internet. Also your child is still young enough that they can get in for free to most places or a lot less then when they are say 10 or 12.

HippieMomma86
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Thank you! Yes, I've found some very helpful websites with free worksheets and information. At first it seemed so overwhelming, but with the websites and this group I'm sure I can make the most of it.

gacgbaker
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Welcome!!

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Welcome!!  This is a great group to learn from!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Welcome Stefanie,

I am a home school workshop leader, and reading tutor. Because of my success rate in helping children to read, I was recently asked to do workshops at the University of North Florida educational Department.  I get asked many questions like yours and put together a free web page to answer the most commonly questions at the following link  How To Home School

Try the free online worksheets and flash cards first. That way you are not out any money.  Flash cards and workbooks work fine for about 45% of the population.  If it does not work for you, the above article gives you other options that are quite reasonable because it gives you information on how to create your own lesson plans using play and real life experiences. It also explains the importance of making sure the phonic sounds are taught correctly (free videos are provided so you can do that yourself)

Also the link gives you information about your state laws for home education...a very important first step.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Hi Stefanie. :) Welcome. This is a great group to be sure. lol 

Congratulations on your decision to homeschool.  Wow, twins huh?  Awesome.  Double the love and fun.  : )  So heres my advice.....

Quoting mem82:

What I suggest any newbie do before they begin is to figure out two things:

1. The length of the child's attention span. The idea is to quit while you are ahead. Stop a lesson BEFORE you lose their attention or they get frustrated.

2. Figure out HOW your child learns. I made this mistake as a veteran homeschooler, even. I assumed I could teach my son the same way I and my oldest learn. It took months for me to step back and slap myself on forehead. LOL

I promise you that these two things are the keys to success. 8)

Quoting mynameismuerte:

I love this answer! I think it's so easy for first timers to get caught up in "school at home" rather than homeschooling and that can cause a lot of frustration whe it comes to expectations. A young child doesn't need 6 hours a day of "structured" learning. If your child retains information while running in circles or coloring rather than sitting rigid at a desk/table then go with it.
 I want learning to stay fun in our home as long as possible.

HippieMomma86
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Thanks so much everyone! I've already looked up the laws for my state. I don't need to report to the school district, as they do not need to be in school, legally, until age 6. Thanks for all the links, ored, I'll definitely be spending some time tonight checking them out.

I wasn't planning on doing an actual full sit down day, not only could they not handle it, but I would get bored as well. I'm already loving this group!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN