Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is everyday really a struggle?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM
  • 17 Replies
Ok, so I read these daily short lil homeschooling things and they make it sound like every single day a person is going to have a battle with something while homeschooing. They also do say what a great blessing it is to homeschool, but the negativity makes me sweat bullets sometimes! I know it isn't going to be a walk in the park, but do you guys have more good days then bad?
It'll be my first year. I'm also not reading those daily snippets anymore! lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HippieMomma86
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I'm interested in this as well. September will be our first year and I'm slightly nervous. My fiance is worried about them listening to me because even though for the most part they are well behaved, they have their moments of not paying attention and I need to repeat myself.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL I have an 11yo, 7yo, 2yo, and 10months and will be going into my fifth year of homeschool. We do have way more good days than bad! 8) It's a great life, but it does take a bit of an adjustment.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:09 PM
2 moms liked this

What I suggest any newbie do before they begin is to figure out two things:

1. The length of the child's attention span. The idea is to quit while you are ahead. Stop a lesson BEFORE you lose their attention or they get frustrated.

2. Figure out HOW your child learns. I made this mistake as a veteran homeschooler, even. I assumed I could teach my son the same way I and my oldest learn. It took months for me to step back and slap myself on forehead. LOL

I promise you that these two things are the keys to success. 8)

ripemango
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:10 PM

most days are good vs bad here.To be frank, we don't really even have bad days but bad moments, which pass.

I kinda feel like people that are negative are going to create negativity, write about it, homeschool like that, etc.

I do have an 'easy' kid tho. She wants to learn and is always excited to do schoolwork. I guess I could see the experience being a struggle with a child of a different temperament.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM
We totally have more good days than bad days. Being honest, the first year was really hard. Part of that was that DS started after 1st grade and had a traumatic public school experience and partly because I believe in a private school type education like I thrived in. That DID NOT work for DS...and it took me figuring that out.

Homeschooling is a total lifestyle choice. Its more than "school at home" and parents and kids have to learn to work together as a team. A me against them attitude will not work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I don't think we have any more bad days than good days than we would if they went to public school. The struggles are different  as homeschoolers VS using the public school to educate.

With PS you have the getting up early & getting ready to get to school on time 5 days a week. Homework & bed time as well as any after school activities.

With HS you can decide all that for your family with out an outside entity (like the PS) making you conform to there demands!

I hope this made sense.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

We definitely have moments, but overall far more good than bad!

It is hard sometimes to be the teacher AND the mom, I think. I have had to learn to be tougher on my kids because I am their teacher than I would be if I were just the mom and I could delegate that "harder" role to another adult outside the home. I heard a great talk at a homeschool convention a few months ago where a veteran homeschooling mom of 8 (two oldest are in college now) said, "Your kids are going to come up against walls in their lives, when people tell them they can't or aren't doing a good enough job. I want that first wall they come up against - ME - to be soft." She said this in reference to grading papers and making her kids re-do their work but for me, I use it to remind myself I need to make them stick to their schedule each day and get enough school work done. I'm too soft on them sometimes. :)

black.eyeliner
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM
See for us it is not a struggle. I don't know any moms who really struggle in my local group. I just took a break from my spinning wheel to get on here. My son is writing up a character for a role playing game, my eldest is baking cookies, the little girls are knitting, and my youngest is watching a sign language video. They float about doing projects, crafts, baking, cooking, workbooks, reading, journaling, etc. By making everything educational we changed our learning method. We now teach and learn every waking hour and enjoy it more than before. I have felt almost no stress with this new process.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saraho5
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I appreciate all of the honesty and insight. All of these are reasons we have chosen this lifestyle as well!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mynameismuerte
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM
2 moms liked this
I love this answer! I think it's so easy for first timers to get caught up in "school at home" rather than homeschooling and that can cause a lot of frustration whe it comes to expectations. A young child doesn't need 6 hours a day of "structured" learning. If your child retains information while running in circles or coloring rather than sitting rigid at a desk/table then go with it.

As for my own answer to this question, we don't have a lot of bad days. I want learning to stay fun in our home as long as possible.

Quoting mem82:

What I suggest any newbie do before they begin is to figure out two things:

1. The length of the child's attention span. The idea is to quit while you are ahead. Stop a lesson BEFORE you lose their attention or they get frustrated.

2. Figure out HOW your child learns. I made this mistake as a veteran homeschooler, even. I assumed I could teach my son the same way I and my oldest learn. It took months for me to step back and slap myself on forehead. LOL

I promise you that these two things are the keys to success. 8)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN