Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is everyday really a struggle?

Posted by   + Show Post
Ok, so I read these daily short lil homeschooling things and they make it sound like every single day a person is going to have a battle with something while homeschooing. They also do say what a great blessing it is to homeschool, but the negativity makes me sweat bullets sometimes! I know it isn't going to be a walk in the park, but do you guys have more good days then bad?
It'll be my first year. I'm also not reading those daily snippets anymore! lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Replies (11-17):
Bethsunshine
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Up until this past school year, we had more good days than bad. This past year was a NIGHTMARE from day one, and I can honestly say that hardly a day went by that I didn't want to throw in the towel. Homeschooling isn't easy by any stretch, but it does have its moments that make all of the struggle worth it!! As long as you have realistic expectations and don't think everything will be sunshine and roses, you'll be fine!! I don't think there is a homeschooling mom alive who doesn't struggle with doubts and frustration!!

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM

We don't have any days that are a struggle....just some that are a bit more challenging than others.  Challenges are good...we learn from them.  There's never been a day that I wasn't able to come up with a solution....eventually.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Umm, wow I'm wondering what you are reading! It doesn't sound very encouraging...I've been HS for almost a decade. I rarely have bad school days. IMO bad days are generally an indicator that you are using the wrong style or level for your student. In the beginning it's all about experimentation to find what WORKS FOR YOU.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Well said indeed! Both of you, muerte and mem.  This is exactly what every hsing parent should know and do.   

My Answer to the question....

Everyone has their days/moments and learn not to be discouraged by them.

If you feel  like you are having a bad day,  Chances are, you are just in need of a change up. Go with it.  And do something different.  Maybe even for the whole day.  : )

Quoting mynameismuerte:

I love this answer! I think it's so easy for first timers to get caught up in "school at home" rather than homeschooling and that can cause a lot of frustration whe it comes to expectations. A young child doesn't need 6 hours a day of "structured" learning. If your child retains information while running in circles or coloring rather than sitting rigid at a desk/table then go with it.

As for my own answer to this question, we don't have a lot of bad days. I want learning to stay fun in our home as long as possible.

Quoting mem82:

What I suggest any newbie do before they begin is to figure out two things:

1. The length of the child's attention span. The idea is to quit while you are ahead. Stop a lesson BEFORE you lose their attention or they get frustrated.

2. Figure out HOW your child learns. I made this mistake as a veteran homeschooler, even. I assumed I could teach my son the same way I and my oldest learn. It took months for me to step back and slap myself on forehead. LOL

I promise you that these two things are the keys to success. 8)

oredeb
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM

yea dont read them sarah!! theres hard times, but not all the time!! as least thats how it is for me!

i try to make all those hard times into something i learn from,  changing a way i teach something, or a learning method, or changing my atitude, (those kids pick up on atitudes quickly!), and i find if i want to try something differnt to do it for a bit before i give up on it, takes time to change for us and the kids.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM

We don't really have bad days.  We have difficult moments but I really don't let it go all day long.  I don't let my kids complain about assignments.  Instead I encourage to come up with their own way to learn the subject.  If they don't wish to do their math assignment I will spend the afternoon doing math on our white board.  If don't want to do grammar we will grab a book and just read together and talk about grammar and writing.  Many times we will go and study chemistry together and just incorporate the 3 R's into what we are studying.  I think the beauty of homeschooling is having choices.  If they are tired of doing one thing we can try doing something else.  My goal for my kids is to develop their interest in learning above all else.  If we are having a hard time we simply go outside and go for a long walk or go jump on our trampoline.  It is hard to have a  bad attitude when we are jumping on our trampoline.  I think the longer you homeschool the more in tune you become with your child's moods.  You know when you need to change activities or do something completely different.  I remember once popping word balloons in my living room.  It was fun and the break my kids needed.  Don't be afraid to follow your kids lead and change things up once in awhile.  Do things different every once in a while.  Your routine needs to be very flexible.  

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM
The good days far out weigh the bad for us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN