Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Love it or leave it: public speaking?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:51 PM
  • 12 Replies

giving heartOR devil

Do you love using any books or resources to teach your kids about public speaking?  How do you get your kids comfortable with the idea of public speaking?

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I, personally, hate public speaking! But I do believe it is essential to learn and know.  if you want your kids to be comfortable with their own vocal voice, have them read out loud every day for school.  Nothing much. Just read a chapter in a subject or a leisure book. Have them write down directions to a place they know how to get to. Then, have them give those directions verbally to someone as if they were a stranger. These things should help them get comfortable with speaking publicly. 

oredeb
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM

yuk! i dont like it for me!! but for the kids, i have them do powerpoints, and they do them in front of an audience

essays- read out loud to all of us

we take turns reading outloud 

we do this game we use for writing lyrics or poems or stories and we have to be quick to come up with a line, we sit in a circle and i call on each person they have to come up with a line that will make sense and go with the last line, they get a prize each time and one gets taken away when they dont have a line

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Quoting oredeb:

yuk! i dont like it for me!! but for the kids, i have them do powerpoints, and they do them in front of an audience

essays- read out loud to all of us

we take turns reading outloud 

we do this game we use for writing lyrics or poems or stories and we have to be quick to come up with a line, we sit in a circle and i call on each person they have to come up with a line that will make sense and go with the last line, they get a prize each time and one gets taken away when they dont have a line

Awesome idea!  : )

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:06 PM
They do them at co-op and love them. I think they are important. I don't want them to be afraid of speaking in public
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:13 PM

No need for it in my book!

supermom2xlb
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I need to go to bed! I really thought the title said "Puplic spanking" I was like what...then I clicked and reread it. Yep...I'm that tired! LOL

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Quoting supermom2xlb:

I need to go to bed! I really thought the title said "Puplic spanking" I was like what...then I clicked and reread it. Yep...I'm that tired! LOL

Ahhhhh HA Ha HA!! thanks for making me laugh : )

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Poetry is a great way to kill 2 birds with one stone. I have my kids stand in front of me and read poems I have chosen from one of our many books of poetry. They have to hold the book up, so there head is not down, make as much eye contact as they can, project their voice and no fidgeting allowed or they have to start over. They each have to memorize 2 or 3 poems each school year to recite in front of the whole family. This helps with public speaking and keeping them familiar with classic poetry.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I am fine with public speaking for myself, but my son is not.  We have done oral book reports and reading out loud.

gamermom81
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:52 PM
My daughter needs to practice this and conversation skills is there curriculum for this ?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN