Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Love it or leave it: public speaking?

Posted by   + Show Post

giving heartOR devil

Do you love using any books or resources to teach your kids about public speaking?  How do you get your kids comfortable with the idea of public speaking?

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Replies (11-12):
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I am comfortable with public speaking and its something I want my kids to be able to do as well. This is what I have come up with.  There is a fairly large(ish) group of homeschoolers in our area.  I have asked the parents to consider this: once a month, the kids who are going to participate will be given a topic.  Perhaps we'll do presidents or mammals or something like that.  Something general so they can have a lot of freedom to talk about something they want to talk about.  During the month, they'll learn about that topic on their own, then at a set time and place, we'll all get together and the kids will take turns sharing their presentations.  We're not going to force them to participate but encourage them.  Then we'll do a fun craft or have a picnic or something like that, then they'll get the topic for the following month. I mentioned the idea at the end of the school year and had several who seemed interested, so we'll see what happens come September.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

We started them off at church.  Singing and "showing off" is very nice when they are little and now that thy are used to that, it's less of a big deal.  They sang "Jesus loves me", "this little light of mine", "my Father's house."  Simple little songs that they knew very well.  Then last year my oldest lit the "Love" candle at advent.  He was very excited!  And his brothers sang "You are the light of the world!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)