Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling Area?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:44 PM
  • 21 Replies

Do you have a certain area set aside in your house that is dedicated to homeschooling, or do you just do the work wherever is most comfortable at the time? I am starting my daughter (4-soon-to-be-5) in September and ideally planned on having a "classroom" for her, but as we are looking at houses, I am starting to think it might not happen. I am pregnant and due in September, so we will have 4 children, 2 in each room. We had originally planned on using part of her bedroom as a classroom, until we found out we were pregnant again! My husband flips houses on the side, so we were thinking that maybe he could finish off a part of the basement. Do you think it's really necessary to have a designated place to sit and do our work everyday? Keep in mind I will also have to be tending to the 2 year old and newborn baby! I am not sure if she will be able to concentrate sitting at our kitchen table with the other two playing.

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM
At age 4 you can do school on the couch, in the car, we have even done it inside a makeshift tent under the table. :)
I have a 7 yr old, soon to be 5 yr old and a 19 month old. We do school at the kitchen table and also in the livingroom floor. Just depends on the day. We do a lot of living books, so we have more flexibility as to where and how we do school. I would eventually love to have a school room or area..but the table is our only formal option for now. We make it work. I have a small desk set up that houses all the supplies and boxes of our books, to keep things organized and out of the way when not in use.
One of the best parts of homeschooling is being able to do it anywhere :) have fun with it
Good luck! Also..congrats on the new baby!
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 6, 2012 at 2:14 AM
Congrats on the new baby!

It is nice to have a designated area but whether it is necessary or not depends on the child.

When we first started, both boys had been in public school. Having desks and a designated area helped the transition. As theybecame comfortable at home, they relaxed and branched out.

DD has never been in public school but has a touch of adhd. Having her desk helps her focus. She knows that at the desk it is work time. Where as ds2, who also has adhd, but transitioned from Public school HATES anything that reminds him of pub school and prefers to work on he couch, the floor, or on an exercise ball instead of a chair needs variety.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleacorn
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 2:41 AM
We have never had a designated area. My 12yo usually chooses to do most of his work on his bed. My 7yo does it whereever: my bed, his bed, his brother's bed, the couch, the coffee table, the picnic table, the kitchen counter, the car, or the kitchen table! Dd (age 5) usually does hers at the kitchen table, the coffee table, or on my bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:49 AM
Congrats! We had a room, and I loved it. But, we also got preggo unexpectedly and the baby took our room, I have 2 other girls already sharing a room. Our house is small, but we have most of our stuff in our dining area, books on the bookshelf in the living room, my stuff in my bedroom. I hate having everything everywhere and being disorganized. It's just my personality. Some people manage just fine this way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

We are going to do a little bit of all of it.

For my 5 year old we took part of our room (meant to be an office) and made it into a schoolroom.  My husband built a big desk.  I have drawer carts in there to keep all of our stuff in and I have cute posters on the wall.  I am also going to put a dry-erase board on the wall and a bulletin board.  We have been doing it at the kitchen table, but she gets distracted easily.

The boys will be doing most of theirs at the table.  We didn't know we were HS them until about a month ago.  So, we've not had time or the extra money to get extra stuff right now.  Eventually DH is going to build them a big desk. That way they will have a specific place that they can do their work and we can put the computers.  Hopefully by January we can have this accomplished.  Next year we are going mostly to all computer work so this will be important.

celshep
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks ladies! I think that this year we will just experiment with what works for us. I plan to eventually have a set curriculum, but for her Kindergarten year we may just take an "unschooling" approach and learn through play and visits to grocery stores (math & deductive reasoning), museums (culture & history), dance lessons and parks for exercise, etc. She is already reading, so we will take many trips to the library and my husband has even talked about making her a bunkbed with a reading nook underneath!

oredeb
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 12:02 PM

weve always had a homeschool room!! a place to put our stuff, a nice comfy couch, big long table, book shelves, file holders,  but the kids can do their work anywhere they want to, we do it in living room, at kitchen table, outside, in bedrooms, at the park etc! so i dont think its necessary unless you have lots of stuff for hsing, and need a place to put it like me!hahahah

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM

We have a dedicated school room with desks and computers. We have a bookshelf. I have a desk and a computer.  I even have a huge whiteboard where e do some of our school work and assignments and our research and room for the little ones to mark on.  We tried the do school work anywhere approach. lol The kids loved it but could never get anything done. So we went with the schoolroom and desks. The kids now get their work done.  : )

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

We are remodeling our dinning room to use for all our educational stuff & computers. I wont go as far as to call it a classroom because we unschool we never do anything that looks like school or a class. But it will be nice to have all my stuff in one place for the kids to find when they want something rather then having to remember which closet we hid something in.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM

We use our basement as storage and extra playroom. We may start using it more, this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)