Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

lol My friend says I wont be able to leave my house anymore!

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM
  • 26 Replies
Ok. Lol My friend (who also homeschools) has informed me that pretty soon I wont be able to leave my house given the new changes taking place.

Let me explain.
We are young parents, we run our own business, we homeschool, we practice attachment parenting and a variety of people call me crunchy(cook bake from scratch, sew, crochet, garden, can, coupon, make homemade cleaning products)..and the new thing? I (due to health reasons) have become vegan(more or less)

I was talking to my friend today and she goes. 'Oh My Gosh! You aren't going to be able to leave your house pretty soon. This little town we live in isn't going to be able to handle you.' (We live in a very rural town)
Lol yep that would be us the walking freak show. It probably doesn't help that I am not a fan of all the homeschool groups in the area(they are very clickish) also we avoid large crowds in the winter because of the germs. Ds(7) has an auto immune disorder and both our dd's have allergy/illness induced asthma.
And of course we weren't weird enough so I went vegan! Haha ;)
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm very similar to you;) except not vegan. I stopped caring what people think, but I don't get too much flak for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:14 AM
I have gotten used to the reactions from people about the other stuff in our lives. I get called over protective, and a germaphob..which doesn't bother me.
I am still getting used to people looking at me like I have two heads when they find out I went vegan. I try not to tell people..although my children find it fun to announce to people('Mommy, stopped eating meat and milk!') What is annoying is the questions...they never end. 'Why do you do it? What do you eat.. how do you get protein?'
Lol Maybe I will hide out for a short time ;) (jk)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM

crunchy...never heard that term before.  According to the definition I am very crunchy.  I don't participate in local hs groups b/c my son has autism and large groups of people are way toooo stressful for him.  We attend church, go to the chiro, grocery store, the park, a few other places in the summer.  But otherwise we really enjoy just being home.  Nothing wrong with that.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM
I'm a super germaphobe too. We don't go many places during cold/flu season. I actually pulled dd1 out of preschool a few years ago when h1n1 was going around because we had a 6 month old. That was our first taste of homeschooling. :) now look at us!

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

I have gotten used to the reactions from people about the other stuff in our lives. I get called over protective, and a germaphob..which doesn't bother me.

I am still getting used to people looking at me like I have two heads when they find out I went vegan. I try not to tell people..although my children find it fun to announce to people('Mommy, stopped eating meat and milk!') What is annoying is the questions...they never end. 'Why do you do it? What do you eat.. how do you get protein?'

Lol Maybe I will hide out for a short time ;) (jk)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Nothing wrong with that at all :)
I had never heard the term crunchy until I got on cm. cm loooooves labels. Haha!

Quoting irvinehiker:

crunchy...never heard that term before.  According to the definition I am very crunchy.  I don't participate in local hs groups b/c my son has autism and large groups of people are way toooo stressful for him.  We attend church, go to the chiro, grocery store, the park, a few other places in the summer.  But otherwise we really enjoy just being home.  Nothing wrong with that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM
Hey we get out..occasionally. And I think we are all a little on the odd side! Maybe you could start a new co-op/playgroups? That way you don't have to deal w/ the bit***. I hate clicks, like physically get repelled by that type if woman.. *shudder*

I was vegan for several years, but then I married my hunter DH...sign, I go sick of cooking twice in one night. So I caved. But I'll never be very comfortable with eating animal products. My favorite meals to this day are Pad Thai, fried bean curd in garlic sauce, and meatless/cheese less nachos hmmmm.
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM
We love being home and spending time as a family. We do lots of family trips and what not. We are not very social.lol

Quoting irvinehiker:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM
I hadn't heard it until then either..but it seems to be spreading now. Quite a few people in my everyday life like to toss the term around. It kind of annoys me..because they are putting this not so nice label on things that I find to be fun and a great way to save money. But oh well. Lol

Quoting Boobah:

Nothing wrong with that at all :)

I had never heard the term crunchy until I got on cm. cm loooooves labels. Haha!

Quoting irvinehiker:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM
I have actually thought about it, but I am honestly not that into the social scene. Plus with running the business, homeschooling and etc..I am not the type to be able to keep up with it. I am also not a fan of dealing with all those people. Lol
I have a couple friends who are a lot more into the outings or getting together. They want to 'schedule' a once a week 'play date' or all these outtings. Which sounds fun and all but I don't have the time or patients to work with everyone's schedule. I will do some of the things with people, but they have trouble realizing we run a business so I can't always make plans and expect them to stick. Most of the time I make plans and then end up having to reschedule because of a parts delivery or a customer picking up or dropping off..or even a tow truck delivery. Lol it is our life, it is messy and we love it..but most people don't get it. :o/
Dh and I are not too worried about 'socialization' lol, we both homeschooled and function quite well in the world, if I do say so myself. Actually I have had a lot of people be shocked to find out we homeschooled 'because we are so well adjusted' HA! Lol
I would love some recipes if you don't mind sharing. I have yet to meet another vegetarian/vegan. Lol

Quoting KickButtMama:

Hey we get out..occasionally. And I think we are all a little on the odd side! Maybe you could start a new co-op/playgroups? That way you don't have to deal w/ the bit***. I hate clicks, like physically get repelled by that type if woman.. *shudder*

I was vegan for several years, but then I married my hunter DH...sign, I go sick of cooking twice in one night. So I caved. But I'll never be very comfortable with eating animal products. My favorite meals to this day are Pad Thai, fried bean curd in garlic sauce, and meatless/cheese less nachos hmmmm.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Here are some of my favorites -

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,182,145179-254195,00.html. (fried bean curd in garlic sauce)
http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes/everyday-meals/southwestern-supper/the-best-vegan-nachos/
http://thaifood.about.com/od/vegetarianthairecipes/r/padthaiveg.htm pad Thai
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN