Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT but wanted to share :)

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:13 AM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this
I homeschooled as a child and loved it. It gave me extra time to learn other skills like sewing and horseback riding etc. Some of those skills I have carried into my adult life and have used in my everyday life.
I personally believe everyone should always be learning something. Education never ceases. We as homeschool moms should be working toward are own 'educations' as well as our childrens. I am not nec refering to college...I mean the education of life.
I recently had an opportunity to help a cousin with her wedding dress..it is a skill we both picked up as children and have worked on off and on as time allows. If I hadn't been taught when I was younger and had the time and opportunity to work on that skill while homeschooling I might not have been able to help her with her dress..and a variety of other projects I have had the amazing opportunities to help with and to experience. She has always been more into quilting(she taught me how) and I was more into designing clothes(I taught her how) she had a picture in her head of what she wanted and we worked together to make it happen.
So just a small reminder..the things we teach our children now..really can become something big later in life. :)
*the pic will be in the replies*
Let me know what you think!
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Here it is. :) the long skirt comes off and there is a tea length sun dress underneath. They had a very casual BBQ kind of wedding. We put it together in one very long night. We were up until 4 am. Lol it was worth it though.
This dress is def going on and getting checked off of my 'bucket list' ;) haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:43 AM

This is a shot of the shorter underdress before the dress is completely finished. It looked even better at the wedding. There just aren't many shots of it :/ oh well. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:54 AM
That is gorgeous!!! I have already started teaching my 6 yo to sew, she wants to learn to knit but I'm having a hard time figuring that out. My mom taught me to sew around this age, and I now do it as a business. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:07 AM
I have sold a few of my items but I just haven't had the time to stick with it on a constant basis..
I crochet..I love to crochet! I tried knitting a few times and just haven't been able to pick it up yet. That may have to wait until my kids have grown. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shari55
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

The dress is great looking! I totally understand what you are saying and am a firm believer that we should always be learning.  I hand quilt and crochet too but haven't in awhile because of obligations (like finishing up my degree and work, life etc) I will pick it up again hopefully before too long.

I have taught my girls how to cook and sew, also they have learned to love learning new things because of my example.

Shari, wife to bestfriend John (4/88), mom to Heather(1/77),Nyssa(4/89),Michaela (8/94) and four fur babies (cats)

oredeb
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

yep! everything dh and i taught the kids growing up they use now in their own homes, lives, theyve even taught us some stuff they've picked up along the way

sure is a pretty dress! i bet it was a lovely wedding!

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Good job!  you did a great job!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Love it!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Awesome! What a talent you have!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN