Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What kind of bizarre myths about sex have you heard come out of your kids' mouths?

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:45 AM
  • 7 Replies

Dangerous Anti-Birth Control Ads Target Kids By Disrespecting Parents

Posted by Jeanne Sager on July 5, 2012 

1fleshWhat's scarier than teenagers having sex? Teenagers having sex after they've gotten a look at 1flesh, an ad campaign masquerading as a source for information on birth control that could earn you the name 'Grandma' in just nine months. Be afraid, moms and dads, be very, very afraid.

I stumbled on the project put together by a bunch of college kids who claim "we want sexy back" via Jezebel, where blogger Katie J.M. Baker points out the anti-contraception group is "rife with misinformation that we could pick apart for hours if we didn't have better things to do with our time." I see her point -- the site is so bogged down with mis-information about sex that I hardly know where to begin.

Unfortunately for those of who have kids, we have to invest the time. Because 1flesh has very carefully crafted an "us against them" campaign designed to convince kids that their myth-laden propaganda is right precisely because it isn't what their parents are saying.

Literally! They use phrases like "repeating the mistakes of our parents" and "if anything can be said of our generation, it’s this: We want sexy back. Our parent’s generation, well, they lost it."

They might as well just come out and say, "Hey, Teenager, we know you are soooo much cooler than your Mom and Dad, and we understand you! So come on over and take a hit of what we're selling."

What they're selling is unscientific clap-trap. Take, for example, the warning that "artificial contraception has ... increased the global rate of HIV, seriously harmed the environment, screwed up relationships, and is strongly correlated with increased divorces, abortions, and unplanned pregnancies."

Um, that would be no, nope, uh uh, what in the heck?, and absolutely false. Consider yourself warned: that's just the tip of the iceberg! You might want to take 1flesh apart piece by piece with your kids.

What kind of bizarre myths about sex have you heard come out of your kids' mouths?

by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:44 AM
Oh wow, I'm hiding my girls in the basement. ;)
My kids are young but I'm not looking forward to this kind of misinformation. It's that much more important to make sure they hear the correct info from us, their parents, before they see things like that, or learn from friends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I have boys that are 14.  My husband had that talk with them when they were 11 and has not stopped.  We are very open with the boys.  WE talk to them to protect them from things like this.

My daughter is 5 and of course is not ready for the big talk yet, but we do talk about things that will eventually lead to that talk.

I believe that if you talk to them early and often that you will not have to worry about the myths that they hear because they will know the truth.  If you keep the lines of communication open then if they do hear a myth they will feel comfortable coming to you.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM
My oldest is 7. We closely monitor what the kids see, hear and watch at this age..but they still hear and see things they shouldn't, and have asked about it. Our plan is to be in constant conversation with them as they grow and to try to head off these outside 'ideas' of the truth.
It is truely scary what is out there. I think I'm with Boobah on this one..let's hide them in the basement ;) lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MessedUpMama
by Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM

My DS is 9, he's a bit innocent for his age. We've talked about what sex is and how babies are made, but he's not really interested. A few weeks ago he kiss a friend of ours on her cheek, a few days later she found out she was pregnant. When he found out, and I'm not sure how that happened, he told me that he kissed "Suzie" (Not her real name) and now she's pregnant with his baby! I talked to him again, and showed him some information about reproduction. He just nodded and walked away. Later he told me that he had super special kisses and that's how his kiss got "Suzie" pregnant. No amount of science will change his mind. SMH. I'll have to make sure to keep him away from web pages like that one when he gets a little older.

supermom2xlb
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I'm so glad that my kids are not old enough for this mess!

6Fish
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I went and looked at the actual site, 1flesh.org, and it seems like maybe this blogger is overreaching about this site a little. This site actually advocates abstinence outside of marriage, and natural family planning within marriage.

At any rate, like many of the previous posters, we are in constant ongoing conversation with our kids on these subjects. I want them to know that they can always talk to us about anything, and be comfortable doing so!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I have talked with kids about reproduction since they were age 4.  I was in walmart when my son blurted out,"Mom, when are you going to poop out an egg".  I decided right then and there that it was time to do a study on human body.  I have simply talked and answered their questions as they have come up.   I don't worry about my kids being easily influenced by these types of things.  I have taught them to question everything and to prove even everything that I say.  My son was much older sometimes he would call out and tell me, "Mom, the rooster is fertilizing the eggs again".  He has a pretty good idea what happens.  He also told that in 4 years he is going to start producing sperm.  Apparently he read it in a book.    Above all else I want to foster open communication with them at all times.  There is nothing they can't come to me about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)