Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

It's not punishment!

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM
  • 17 Replies

My kids are not homeschooled yet, but it's the plan in a few years- for now we are doing some schooling during the summer, nothing too intense, but just to keep school fresh and introduce them to concepts they will see next year.  There was a comment made on Facebook about it being punishment to make kids do schoolwork during the summer because it's summer after all.  Why does it have to be punishment?  Most of the time the kids are loving doing it, and it's fun stuff- we do learning games, crafts, field trips, and some paper- but it's not punishment.  I guess I just don't understand why learning is thought to be punishment- have you ever had to deal with comments like that?  What do you do?

by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

hmmmm....if parents see schoolwork as punishment, I guess kids would too.  That's an awful way to look at learning.  I've taught my kids to read, write, and do math, but one of the most important lessons I've taught my kids is that learning is fun.  When I teach my kids that learning is fun,,,a journeyto be traveled everything falls into place.  This is not to say I din't have hs challenges.  But the right attitude sets the tone. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM
2 moms liked this
It just proves how bad the PS system has gotten - that kids natural curiosity has been beaten out of them so learning is now seen as a punnishment. I just shake my head in sadness for their unenlightenment.
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't have said it better.

Quoting KickButtMama:

It just proves how bad the PS system has gotten - that kids natural curiosity has been beaten out of them so learning is now seen as a punnishment. I just shake my head in sadness for their unenlightenment.

Pinned Image

Thewife06
by Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

PS is just memorization for standardized tests.  I HATED history the most.  Dates, names, I don't care about industrialized growth...I hated it.  Now king Henry the 8th?  I would have been all about that.  The Civil war?  I think it's fascinating.  NOW.  In school it was just dates and names. 

My HS science teacher MADE learning fun.  We made ice cream one day.  Chemical reactions day.  First day of chemistry he went over class rules then said "Okay, now who wants to blow something up?" Yeah, THAT was an awesome class!  But it isn't the norm, sadly. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

oredeb
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

in ps i hated math! but since homeschooling i love teaching it!! i enjoy it so much! and understand it much better!

wowguildmomma
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM

yea definately not punishment. however it is very much punishment for me should I forget to print of the day's extra work and if they finish it faster than i thought they would Oldest ds just pats me on the head and says it ok mom i forgive you and then makes up stuff for himself to do. lol

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

The sad thing is- comparing how my kids choose to spend their summer and how that is seen by the vast majority of PSers. They've watched 3 episodes of Modern Marvels (it's too hot to be outside) and have had some great discussions about it. Cole got into my art supplies and made several creations, without my help or prompting. Missie crocheted a little purse and tried out a new way to paint beads that she researched while the babies napped. Oh, and their chores, of course. My poor kids! lol

Adamswifeypoo08
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

lol homework is not punishment. People who say that are most likely not the brightest tool in the shed

Allebas
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

My 7-year-old son LOVES doing summer-school work with me!! We sit and he reads to me for 20 minutes. We go over his sight words. He has a math workbook he didn't finish during the school-year, so he does a page or two from that. He also has a writing journal. He draws a picture and then he writes about the picture. We do this program 5 days per week. The whole thing takes about 45 minutes. He still has plenty of time to play with his friends, toys or whatever! When I tell him its time to do his school-work, his response is always, "YEA!!" He understands that this home-work is not a punishment--it is to help him not get what I call 'summer brain drain.'  His school is also having summer-school activities 2 days a week that he will be starting next week! Its 2 1/2 hours each day.  :  )

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Quoting mem82:

The sad thing is- comparing how my kids choose to spend their summer and how that is seen by the vast majority of PSers. They've watched 3 episodes of Modern Marvels (it's too hot to be outside) and have had some great discussions about it. Cole got into my art supplies and made several creations, without my help or prompting. Missie crocheted a little purse and tried out a new way to paint beads that she researched while the babies napped. Oh, and their chores, of course. My poor kids! lol

We like that show too.   We also like Myth Busters. They do such cool stuff.  We spend alot of time watching the History channel.  My husband loves it and he has instilled that love into the kids.  My boys are older (14) but they usually spend half of their day in the back yard fishing..lol.  If it ever gets to the point that we have to survive by hunting for our food, the boys will be ready..lol.

My daughter loves to watch the Food Network and sprout TV.  In both cases, she is learning...lol.

My kids have also been doing some small crafts.  I am not very creative but the boys are.  So, they have been doing stuff with their sister.  I am going to teach all 3 of mine to cook beginning in the fall..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)