Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My kids are not homeschooled yet, but it's the plan in a few years- for now we are doing some schooling during the summer, nothing too intense, but just to keep school fresh and introduce them to concepts they will see next year.  There was a comment made on Facebook about it being punishment to make kids do schoolwork during the summer because it's summer after all.  Why does it have to be punishment?  Most of the time the kids are loving doing it, and it's fun stuff- we do learning games, crafts, field trips, and some paper- but it's not punishment.  I guess I just don't understand why learning is thought to be punishment- have you ever had to deal with comments like that?  What do you do?

by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Replies (11-17):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Funny thing, I've made public school punishment. I didn't do it on purpose, but if she gives me a hard time about what we are doing I ask her if she thinks she would have more fun in PS? She usually stops complaining. I don't know it might be the idea of not doing things how she wants to that make that kind of work punishment. So in a way PS school work during the summer could be punishing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too!  And especially history.  When I was in public school I thought it was the most boring thing in the world. When I began home educating my children I began to love history. My children also love it! My 32 yr olds idea of entertainment is watching The History Channel !  lol

Quoting oredeb:

in ps i hated math! but since homeschooling i love teaching it!! i enjoy it so much! and understand it much better!

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

ablessedlife
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you. Today, learning in summer is not only punishment but it is so NOT COOL.

Two months off for the summer is not real life. A light school load in summer has been very good for our family.
JoyfulJ
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Public schools are punishment, learning is fun. boxing a child in a building to educate them by reading a book and writing on paper is punishment, not taking them outside, playing games that teach, cooking together, going to museums, everything, that is education.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Sunday is MythBuster Day is our house! The kids love that show. Heck, Rob and I love that show, too. 8)

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting mem82:

The sad thing is- comparing how my kids choose to spend their summer and how that is seen by the vast majority of PSers. They've watched 3 episodes of Modern Marvels (it's too hot to be outside) and have had some great discussions about it. Cole got into my art supplies and made several creations, without my help or prompting. Missie crocheted a little purse and tried out a new way to paint beads that she researched while the babies napped. Oh, and their chores, of course. My poor kids! lol

We like that show too.   We also like Myth Busters. They do such cool stuff.  We spend alot of time watching the History channel.  My husband loves it and he has instilled that love into the kids.  My boys are older (14) but they usually spend half of their day in the back yard fishing..lol.  If it ever gets to the point that we have to survive by hunting for our food, the boys will be ready..lol.

My daughter loves to watch the Food Network and sprout TV.  In both cases, she is learning...lol.

My kids have also been doing some small crafts.  I am not very creative but the boys are.  So, they have been doing stuff with their sister.  I am going to teach all 3 of mine to cook beginning in the fall..

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Mine have been doing fun math stuff with mandalas this summer.  They are learning some new concepts about patterns (math), color combinations and different medias (art).  They have been loving this!  We will be going back to "normal" math soon, reading and writting.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM

This is a mirror image of me! lol 

Quoting oredeb:

in ps i hated math! but since homeschooling i love teaching it!! i enjoy it so much! and understand it much better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN