Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"You're going to WHAT? Have you not met your husband's cousins?!"

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 4:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

Well, my hubby's cousins are the movie typical home schooled kids.  Anti social, ghoulish, smart logically, stupid common sense wise, weird weird weird. 

Tonight I told my GMIL that we were going to home school our son and the poor woman about had a heart attack telling me WHY I couldn't because of how these kids turned out.  I had to calm her down & explain that their parents are like that as well & they were put into PUBLIC schools.  And that you can still be in baseball, foot ball, soccer, boy scouts, and whatever sports they have for kids, even if they're home schooled. 

After explaining what I had planned to do to her for over an hour she seemed to think I wasn't completely nutso.  My son is already very independant, the cousins whine to any adult nearby about EVERYTHING.  They were like that when they were babies, same with all the "homeschool syndrome" traits she came up with.  I've gotten one family member on my side. 

I figured my mom would be all on board with it, but she just said "Well, you did fine in public school.  You were at the top of your class.  I swear you are just trying to do everything as opposite as possible as I did."  For one, I was told I didn't need to understand EVERYTHING when I asked questions, I was up to par with the state standards, but Jimbo over there, well, he needs more help since he's not up to state standards, so I needed to figure it out for myself if it was that important to me....Then we would be GIVEN the test questions AND answers at the beginning of a chapter in another class & students were STILL failing.  How the hell is that even possible?

And last, but not least, we're a military family.  We will move around a lot. The chances of him having schools that teach the same stuff at the same time in the same way every time we move?  Yeah, I don't think so. 

My son is only 2, but we've already started teaching him stuff.  We also plan on teaching him year round instead of aug-may.  And probably every day for a few hours unless we have something planned. 

by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
oredeb
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

sounds good!! im on your side!!!hahahahaha my 4 kids are all grown up homeschoolers and married(ones not married) and they are normal, happy, independent, work the jobs they want people! a couple even own their own homes

its funny your movie description(where did they get this idea?) of homeschoolers, ive never meant any not any like that! and ive meant a lot of hsers!

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like the cousins where going to be weired no matter where they were educated!

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM
I'm on your side as well! :) I homeschooled growing up and so did my hubby. We both had great jobs before kids and don't have any social skill issues..well except we don't put up with a bunch of crap. Lol once we had kids I decided to stay home full time. We are slightly anti social..only because we prefer family time over 'social time'. My husband has a full time job and we also run our own business on the side.we built our own house (by ourselves), homeschool our kids and even teach soccer. Lol We are well rounded, and emotionally and socially stable. (For the most part. Everyone has their issues..right? ;)
Don't let the negative bring you down :) you will do a great job!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM

LOL that's funny and sad all at once!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Jeez we could form our own baseball team w/ all of those of us on your side. Lol

It sounds to me like you are on the right track - having thought things through - the pros & cons. You will do great! And all the nay-Sayers will eventually come around!
Brandy85412
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

yep I have heard stuff like that too. My friend is a sub teacher and tells me horror stories of the schools she's worked in and I'm like your still going to put your son in public school? No thank you for my kids.

Thewife06
by Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 6:11 AM

I thought it was incredibly funny, to be honest.  her reaction was based on TWO kids with weirdo parents.  And Hollywood, of course!  Once I explained to her a little bit more, and pointed out that one of her grandsons were the same exact way AND he was brought up in public school.  Acts the same way as his cousins.  It has to do with the parents, not the schools...Plus, I'm kind of a social butterfly & am always trying something new.  That won't stop just because I start homeschooling.  :)  My son will pick up on my good habits.  :D

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I say Welcome to the wonderful adventures of homeschooling!   : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)