January 13, 2012
I am so proud to admit that I actually finished the tent for my daughter's room last weekend – one of my top 10 DIY projects to complete in 2012. Woohoo!
I was inspired by an image I found on the Sew Liberated website, and basically figured out how to make it as I went. Here are the basic steps:
I bought 3 yards of the tree fabric from Ikea. The print is a pretty decent match to the modern trees that cover two of the walls in the room.
I cut the yardage in half and sewed each half together, lengthwise. I then hemmed all 4 edges.
I made it similar to a curtain with tabs on the top, but instead of sewing both tab ends to the curtain, I sewed one end down and made the other attach to the curtain with velcro. This is so that I can attach it/detach it from the embroidery ring that I used at the top.
The white fabric on top is a square scrap from an old curtain; I serged the edges and put a buttonhole in the very middle so I could slip it over the wooden ring.
I used 5 pieces of hemp twine to attach the embroidery ring to the wooden ring at the top, spacing them out evenly around the hoop so that the tent hung even.
I used the hemp twine again to hang the tent from the ceiling, knotting it around the wooden ring at the top of the tent and also at a keyhole screw in the ceiling.
I purchased the wooden ring in a packet of 5 at Michael's in the embroidery/sewing section.
I have no clue what's it's actually supposed to be used for, but it serves my purpose well!
As you can see, my daughter finds it quite cozy
She likes hiding in it and popping out!
If I could do it again...
This was really my first attempt at anything like this, and I wish I could have made a trial one before the final version. If I could do it again...
... I would use a larger embroidery ring at the top. I purchased the biggest one I could find at Michael's craft store, but I may look online for a bigger one and switch it out in the future.
... I would have made sure that hanging it from the ceiling was going to work before I made the entire tent; when we went to hang it, we couldn't find the stud in the ceiling and for a minute I was afraid all my work was for naught. We have an old house with plaster walls and who knew how they had constructed the ceiling; for a minute I thought there may not be studs to drill into. After putting about 6 holes in the ceiling with a drill, my husband went and bought a better stud finder and finally found the stud. Boy, did I breathe a sigh of relief... (we have yet to patch all the holes)
... I might buy lighter fabric... the tree print was a home décor fabric and rather heavy. The Sew Liberated tent that was my inspiration uses a lightweight, almost sheer fabric, and I like how it hangs. Mine looks as heavy as it weighs. I planned on using fishing wire to hang it, but had to switch to hemp cord because it was too heavy.
We are still working on turning my daughter's room into a big girl room, and our next project is a DIY toddler bed (another project from my 2012 DIY list). Once the room is complete, I'll be sharing photos of the whole thing. I can't wait to show you the difference from nursery to big girl room!
I traded out the embroidery hoop for a mini hula hoop at the top of the tent. It made all the difference! Check out the pictures and see my daughter's new room reveal >