Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So close to a plan, then... history happened

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM
  • 15 Replies

I have 6th grade largely mapped out for my 10 year old daughter and pre-k for my 3 year old son, except history (for my rising 6th grader).

We do NOT want lit based and we didn't care for Story of the World. We need world history but I'm stuck between two of them - All Ye Lands (Catholic Textbook Project) *or* Oak Meadow History 6.

I was sooooo close to being done! Bah humbug.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swim-mom72
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Oh sorry to hear this. I know you have been trying to get this settled for a while.

I have not used either, but I really like the looks of Oak Meadow. I go back to it quite a bit to look it over, but their sequencing is just too different than what we have chosen.

Have you looked at Notgrass? He has done a very nice job of keeping it factual and not letting his opinions cloud the product.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Trying to stay with either Catholic or secular for history (Notgrass looks wonderful, but is Protestant) as we've ran into several issues trying to tweak Protestant world history programs.

Doesn't Oak Meadow look great??? I'm only worried about the amount of writing (dd is dyslexic). I've heard it's pretty heavy after 5th grade.

Quoting swim-mom72:

Oh sorry to hear this. I know you have been trying to get this settled for a while.

I have not used either, but I really like the looks of Oak Meadow. I go back to it quite a bit to look it over, but their sequencing is just too different than what we have chosen.

Have you looked at Notgrass? He has done a very nice job of keeping it factual and not letting his opinions cloud the product.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Trying to stay with either Catholic or secular for history (Notgrass looks wonderful, but is Protestant) as we've ran into several issues trying to tweak Protestant world history programs.

Doesn't Oak Meadow look great??? I'm only worried about the amount of writing (dd is dyslexic). I've heard it's pretty heavy after 5th grade.

Quoting swim-mom72:

I understand your issues with tweaking. Why spend the money if your just gonna try and "fix" it?! Have you thought of writing your own? I am sure their are others that are searching like you and would benifit from something like you are wanting.

Yes! Oak Meadow looks great. I liked all the writing involved, that is one thing lacking from mnay other publishers. Maybe you could break up the writing. Not have her do it as quickly as it is scheduled or even combine some assignments. Or you could try something I tried when I taught a journalism class at a co-op once. I had a dys. student. I had him use a voice recorder for his assignments. His mom would transcribe it onto paper. Then he would type the final product on the computer and e-mail it to me. There are ways "around" such roadblocks. You will think of something that works best for your daughter.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting swim-mom72:

I understand your issues with tweaking. Why spend the money if your just gonna try and "fix" it?! Have you thought of writing your own? I am sure their are others that are searching like you and would benifit from something like you are wanting. You have more faith in me than I have in myself. Unfortunately, with a preschooler and a newborn in tow (add in the two dogs that are more work than the children any day), I'm not sure I would be able to put together my own this year. Putting my own together would mean it would end up lit based and we prefer textbooks (easier for Autumn to *see* and retain from, to make connections through, kwim?).

Yes! Oak Meadow looks great. I liked all the writing involved, that is one thing lacking from mnay other publishers. Maybe you could break up the writing. Not have her do it as quickly as it is scheduled or even combine some assignments. Or you could try something I tried when I taught a journalism class at a co-op once. I had a dys. student. I had him use a voice recorder for his assignments. His mom would transcribe it onto paper. Then he would type the final product on the computer and e-mail it to me. There are ways "around" such roadblocks. You will think of something that works best for your daughter. Love the idea you used in your journalism class. Will implement.

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting swim-mom72:

I understand your issues with tweaking. Why spend the money if your just gonna try and "fix" it?! Have you thought of writing your own? I am sure their are others that are searching like you and would benifit from something like you are wanting. You have more faith in me than I have in myself. Unfortunately, with a preschooler and a newborn in tow (add in the two dogs that are more work than the children any day), I'm not sure I would be able to put together my own this year. Putting my own together would mean it would end up lit based and we prefer textbooks (easier for Autumn to *see* and retain from, to make connections through, kwim?).

Yes! Oak Meadow looks great. I liked all the writing involved, that is one thing lacking from mnay other publishers. Maybe you could break up the writing. Not have her do it as quickly as it is scheduled or even combine some assignments. Or you could try something I tried when I taught a journalism class at a co-op once. I had a dys. student. I had him use a voice recorder for his assignments. His mom would transcribe it onto paper. Then he would type the final product on the computer and e-mail it to me. There are ways "around" such roadblocks. You will think of something that works best for your daughter. Love the idea you used in your journalism class. Will implement.

LOL! I totally get it about the animals. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. BUT, I do not have a toddler and a newborn : )  You have a full plate for sure. Don't stress too much about the periphrial things, just concentrate on the important things, and the rest will fall in line as she ages. Luckily, history will still be there and what she learns will get repeated on down the line. And the writing just needs to be a foundation for her to build on since she will continue to use this skill for the rest of her life.

You will do fine : )

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Oh hey, I was just browsing the Learning Things website and found something you might like. Have you heard of Walch Power Basics history? I never have, but looked into once I saw it on this site. It looks pretty good. Wish I knew someone who has used it to give some feedback.  

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM
I've heard good things about oak meadow.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Never heard of it, but I'll research it! Is it comp based or a textbook?

Quoting swim-mom72:

Oh hey, I was just browsing the Learning Things website and found something you might like. Have you heard of Walch Power Basics history? I never have, but looked into once I saw it on this site. It looks pretty good. Wish I knew someone who has used it to give some feedback.  

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

I've heard good things about oak meadow.

So have I. I've heard that it's writing intensive but with a good amount of crafts and hands on to even it out; I've also heard that the lessons are short and engaging to read. The samples look like Autumn would be able to read them easily (even though she is only reading fluently at a 5th grade level.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Are you looking for a boxed type curriculum?  Here is a link you might find helpful in what you're looking for .....

http://www.instructorweb.com/resources/worldhistory.asp

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)