Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Want to homeschool dd with ASD...

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:42 PM
  • 12 Replies
New here, so first off....hello.
I want to homeschool my dd who is an Aspie. I am in Tennessee and don't know first thing about homeschooling. She will be going info 4th grade. I just can't take her being bullied and isolated any longer. Any help/answers you could offer would be greatly appreciated :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awilliams77
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Hello! First check your state requirements and find support groups in your area. This board is a good resource too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with the PP - the laws are a good start - http://www.tennessee.gov/education/homeschool/

It looks to me that you can
A: use an Umbrella school
B: register w/ LEA, and keep records and get her tested annually.

I HS my 2 boys. My oldest has ASD/Sensory Processing Disorder/Pervasive Develepmental Delay.. He absolutely flourishes w/ HS because I can gear the curriculum to exactly how he needs to learn - which is what I like to call Visual Literalism...lol..you can read exactly how we HS in my Defining Our HS
http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/16483391/Defining_Our_Homeschool_piog

My son flourishes because he is in an environment he feels utterly safe in. He has continuity/a schedule, and he knows he won't be singled out for his quirks. I'm here for you if you have any questions/concerns. We've always HS, since he was a toddler, so we are at about 9 years HS.

Shannon

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?state=TN

Here is the link for the TN hs laws through hslda.  Just click on "legal analysis"  and you can read the details.  There are other sites for hs laws, but I always use hslda.

I have a son on the spectrum that I have been hs since the beginning other than 1 semester in early childhood.  It is definately possible to hs ASD and imo the best thing for them.  My son just turned 9 and is learning in a safe predictable environment.  He has plenty of positive social opportunities outside the home.  One thing I've noticed with my son is he seeks out social opportunities now(church, neighborhood kids, etc) rather than just playing on his own.  He never did this when he was in a large classroom full of 30 kids.  Best of luck!!!

carolkey74
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Hello! My son is an Aspie, and is thriving in homeschool! We also live in Tennessee, in a small town named LaFollette. Where are you located?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle163
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group.......first let me say, I totally feel your pain. I'm homeschooling an Aspie (DD-undiagnosed--starting 4th grade on 8/6/12) and I'm pretty sure she has a combo of ADD/ADHD as well. I removed her from ps 2/3 of the way through first grade due to bullying/social problems. She was either bullied or totally shunned/excluded. We are still rebuilding her self-esteem. We were in the mindset that ps was the only way to go (back then) and she is an only so we wanted her to be around other children on a daily basis. We are gearing up for our third full year. Like the other moms have said, definitely check your state laws first. Rebecca Rupp's book Home Learning Year by Year is an excellent resource. Gives great guidelines for what you should be teaching and when/what grade, excellent living book titles, tips, etc. Homeschool For Dummies (yellow books) gives a lot of good info, also. The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer has a pretty good schedule for the grades and excellent book lists.  Rainbow Resource Center has everything you could ever want for curriculum. They have over 40,000 homeschool products, EXCELLENT customer service, and orders over $150.00 ship for free. It will help that your DD will have the summer to deschool/decompress and just relax. Definitely start scoping out if you have a co-op, homeschool support group, and the extra-curricular activities that are close by.....such as 4H, girl scouts, dance or gymnastics, possibly church-related activities, etc. We have to really seek out activities here, as we live in an ultra-small town that has very few extra things to do.

I wanted to add that your school district's web site should have a scope & sequence for the grades.  

Feel free to pm me if you want to chat.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

You can do it! I have 3 children 2 sons both have Autism & a daughter that is NT. We unschool all 3 & they do great!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Good advice from others.  The Home School Legal Defense Association is a good resource for State Laws. Knowing your State laws is definitely the first step.

I also recommend contacting your State Home School Association at the following link.  They also provide information on your State laws (free), connect you with other home educators near you (for support, field trips, lesson co-ops and more). 

Find Your State Home  School Association

tnhokie
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM
We are in Kingsport. I can't find any local hs groups. The closest is one based in Knoxville, that's two hours away. I read the laws, can anyone tell if it us better to do an umbrella school or a satellite school?

Quoting carolkey74:

Hello! My son is an Aspie, and is thriving in homeschool! We also live in Tennessee, in a small town named LaFollette. Where are you located?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnhokie
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Thank you all so much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting tnhokie:

An umbrella school is usually through a church or other such organization. You can use your own curriculum (in most cases) and they handle approving everything. Usually you just sent in an attendance record and outline of your curriculum (though each umbrella is a little different).

A satellite school is an actual school. So she would be enrolled through them using their curriculum.

It just depends on he approach you want to take. If you want more flexibility in curriculum, then go with the umbrella. If you don't want to have to deal with curriculum choices, go with a satellite.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN