Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Love it or leave it: Kids manners books?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:31 AM
  • 8 Replies

giving heartOR devil

Do you love using any books or curriculum to teach your kids manners?  What types of resources have you found?

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Moma3boyz
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM
We have one that we went thru, but is is more like a work book. It was also designed for older kids so it wasn't as cutesy as some I have seen. It covered properly answering the phone, eating out, bus or train rides stuff like that.It also went over what to do in certain situations like becoming lost, what happens if a stranger knocks on the door if you are there alone, ect. It took us about an hour to cover the entire book but it did help them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this
Leave it. Kids learn manners best from actually seeing them in action by the adults around them. I would only use such a tool if the student was having a hard time implementing manners naturally, in their own.
mynameismuerte
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Pretty much sums it up for me.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Leave it. Kids learn manners best from actually seeing them in action by the adults around them. I would only use such a tool if the student was having a hard time implementing manners naturally, in their own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I am actually looking forward to this year b/c there is a manners section incorporated into a 1st grade program.  I need some brushing up on things b/c if I am not doing it properly how do I expect them to do it right.  She will also be learning how to write thankyou notes---this is something that has gone by the wayside and I think it is a good thing that we are going to learn how to do them properly.

If I had the chance and the funds I might look for a larger curriculum in this area.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM

We had story books about them but that was it. I say leave them!

letstalk747
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM

i use these for social stories

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Leave it.

ablessedlife
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Some of the manners books I have read are pitiful! I remember one in which the poor kid in the story walks into his sister's room. She SCREAMS at him to get out. Then the story tells the reader,"you should respect the space of others, blah, blah, blah." But the sister's actions are not addressed at all. I had to explain to my children that they should never react like that if someone comes into their room. These books also will call bullies "jerks" when that is not the right response at all. I think it is the Survival Series for Kids, but I'm not sure.

However I am currently using Lessons in Responsibility for Boys (The Christian Gentleman's Series). I am finding that it is making a difference, especially in my 6yo which suddenly wants to be more responsible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)