Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

4th grade science

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM
  • 4 Replies

For 4th grade science, we are using God's Design For Life:  The Human Body and The World of Plants.  Each book has 34-35 lessons.  I am trying to plan out our schedule for the year.  Has anybody used either of these books?  How many days a week do you teach science?  This is my first year of planning out my  schedule.

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I've not used those, but for science this year for the first time I'm using 'Christian Kids Explore Biology.' It has 35 lessons and recommends teaching science twice a week. Depending on the age (I have a 4th grader this year but also a K and a 1) - it suggests 60-90 min per week. I will probably do a 30 minute lesson to introduce the subject matter and have the oldest do vocab (maybe flash cards), then another day later in the week another 30-60 to review and do the activity. We'll also try to have a field trip or hike to go along with a lot of it, since it's a lot about animals this year.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Quoting hipmomto3:

I've not used those, but for science this year for the first time I'm using 'Christian Kids Explore Biology.' It has 35 lessons and recommends teaching science twice a week. Depending on the age (I have a 4th grader this year but also a K and a 1) - it suggests 60-90 min per week. I will probably do a 30 minute lesson to introduce the subject matter and have the oldest do vocab (maybe flash cards), then another day later in the week another 30-60 to review and do the activity. We'll also try to have a field trip or hike to go along with a lot of it, since it's a lot about animals this year.

Our books suggest 3 lessons a week for 30-45 minutes.

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM

We do it 3 days a week.

I think there may be a Yahoo group for this series that MAY have some lesson plans for you to look at.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Quoting swim-mom72:

We do it 3 days a week.

I think there may be a Yahoo group for this series that MAY have some lesson plans for you to look at.

Thanks.  I will have to check it out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)