Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling Jitters

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hello everyone!  I have decided to home-school my two children ages 7 & 8.  I tried homeschooling last year but felt I wasn't providing enough.  I re-enrolled them during the 2nd quarter.  I strongly feel that homeschooling my kids is the right decision, however, I feel so overwhelmed!  Have you ever felt like you have so many questions but stll don't know how or what to ask?  I could be over thinking this but I just really don't want to miss important record keeping things that might bite me in the behind later.  Any suggestions on what I should be recording and how would be greatly appreciated, because at this point I am recording almost everything and I am too scared to throw things away.

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM

What are the laws in your state about that? If it isn't a law I wouldn't worry about it until high school.

Shari55
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM

hi,

I think we all felt overwhelmed when we first started homeschooling, as mentioned in previous post, what does your state say about keeping records and stuff. What helped me was using Homeschool Tracker, mainly for the number of days and for some academics. This helped me for when my now 23 year old started high school.

Sometimes we do tend to overthink, but relax you will do fine,keep it fun and remember you have been teaching your children since birth.

Shari, wife to bestfriend John (4/88), mom to Heather(1/77),Nyssa(4/89),Michaela (8/94) and four fur babies (cats)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I agree with both the ladies, above.

In Ohio, I don't need to keep records. 8) I will when they are in high school.

Danielle163
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Excellent advice from all of the ladies......just take a breath. I was a basket case when I started homeschooling. I was shocked (at myself) that I had removed my child from ps.LOL OMG, now when I look back on that time, I have to smile. You will do just fine. What state are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:16 AM

All that you have written is not only normal, it is a very good sign because it tells me you care.  With that you can learn the rest.   Perhaps the following free article will help.  It has a section about grade level requirements and testing resources (among many other commonly asked questions).  How To Home School

Many parents today are falsely convinced to believe that the children are to be compared with others in their grade level, and if they fall "short", they will fail.  This is so wrong...each child is unique.  Some children (like Einstein) often walk late, talk late, and are behind in reading skills until they reach third grade.  There is a Home School Book about this called "Better Late Than Early" (used ones available on Amazon) that talks about the importance of listening to the child's own time clock.  Here is an article about that:  Teaching Made Fun And Easy

Just so you know what you are feeling is a good thing:

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:19 AM
This :) and it's totally normal to be nervous and think you arent doing enough. We are programmed to think kids need to go to school to get the best education. It isn't true, but hard to convince yourself of.

Quoting mem82:

I agree with both the ladies, above.

In Ohio, I don't need to keep records. 8) I will when they are in high school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Welcome!

As previously stated, we have all been overwhelmed from time to time. The trick is to stick it out. If something isn't working try another approach. The best thing you can do I the beginning is relax. Have fun. And observe. Keep an open mind to your children's learning styles.
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM

The 1st year I hs I kept track of every minute!  I was so afraid the DPI  was going to knock on my door and ask for my records.  It is important to know your states laws.  In WI I don't have to keep records, so I don't anymore.  Hs jitters are normal....just relax and let your kids learn.  Everything will fall into place if you let it.  Good Luck!

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
You CAN do this Momma!
MaiPnut
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Thank you ladies for all your replies!!  I am so much more relaxed and therefore feel that I can be more productive :)  BTW I ive in Hawaii on the island of Oahu.  Homeschooling is not too common here and it doesn't look like there is too much record keeping involved.  Again, thank you for all your encouraging words!  group hug

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)