Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi.. special needs son and Home Schooling????

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:39 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hello,

My son is going to be 4yrs old in August..he has down syndrome and his little sister will be 2yrs in October..I have read about the rules/laws a little bit in my state (california) for HS...it is different for special needs kids..especially if you want to have therapies like O/T, P/T and Speech...He currently will be attending a SDC (Special Day Class) next month with other special children that are 4yrs old. He was also in a SDC last year too..and received his therapies there.   I want to HS him starting in kindergarten and possible sooner.  I have tried a few (science...if you will) fun things with him like: baggies filled with different items like: rocks,grass,rice,beans,cotton balls,flour,vaseline...and some art with playdoh and a online site called: Starfall that has some alphabet songs and stuff on it...which he really likes....  What should I be doing with him Home School wise at this age?  And I'm discouraged about possible losing his therapies if I do Home school...what can I do about this?     My almost 2yr daughter just loves being included too!

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know Cali law, but here in Ohio, the state will still provide the therapy, if you take them into the school for the appointments.

I would suggest looking up LetteroftheWeek. It is a great Pre K curriculum and will give you a starting point. Your 2 year old could join in, also. 8)

Welcome to homeschooling!

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Im not a homeschooling mom, but I know in my you loose therapies also if you homeschool. You can probably maintain home services until the age of 5, but CSE has different rules in regards to it. Most of the DS children I know get their services in school at the age of 5, the very few that get home services also get wrap around services, but that is because their DS is associated with many other disabilities that are also along the lines of autism, my son isn't DS but he went to a school with children who have DS (acds)

Good luck, but also from what I know DS children are very very social and love to be around others, alike and different.

Good luck, I would call your school district to find out more
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to HS! Good for you in deciding to take on the rewarding challenge!

I HS both my boys - my youngest is NT (neuro-typical) and my eldest who has Aspergers/Sensory Processing Disorder/Pervasive Developmental Delay. I strongly recommend you check out Lapbooking and websites like www.time4learning.com and www.letteroftheweek.com

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:00 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

Im not a homeschooling mom, but I know in my you loose therapies also if you homeschool. You can probably maintain home services until the age of 5, but CSE has different rules in regards to it. Most of the DS children I know get their services in school at the age of 5, the very few that get home services also get wrap around services, but that is because their DS is associated with many other disabilities that are also along the lines of autism, my son isn't DS but he went to a school with children who have DS (acds)

Good luck, but also from what I know DS children are very very social and love to be around others, alike and different.

Good luck, I would call your school district to find out more

I just wanted to kindly interject. You do not lose your IEP when HS. Funding for therapies and such is federal, therefore it is not up to the school district to reject any therapies a special needs child might need. I know many spec needs HS'ers who bring their child to the local school for therapies.

Furthermore, the last place to call for info on HS would be the local BOE. Their job is to put the butts in the seats of the local PS, so they most often give misinformation and discourage HS.

Op, I'll post some links for local associations/groups in CA for you..

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Here are some great links -

http://www.hsc.org/snlegal.php
http://www.bayshoreeducational.com/special.html
http://www.nathhan.com/

You can also google Homeschool DS in _____ (your district) and you should find even more into
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Welcome to homeschooling.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a child on the autism spectrum who I have hs for several years.  My child was receiving servives from the district, but I have to say that I was not happy with them at all.  My ds was not making any progress and he was very unhappy.  I am currently not using any therapies  from the district and we have made much more progress.  I do have a private tutor that works with him once weekly (paid for by a grant) on behavior issues.  Every child is different and you have to make a decision based on your families needs.  Imo choosing to hs is an excellent choice.  Good luck! 

Leobaby2007
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm new here. My almost 5 year old son has mild autism. I took him out of public school last year, due to bullying and some other garbage I was unhappy with over therem so we lost his speech and OT. It wasn't that great anyway. I now take him for private therapy.

I also realized that I have watched so many therapy sessions over the years that there is a lot I can do at home!

My son is set to start a small, Christian pre-K in August, but if this ends up being a fiasco like public school was, I am going the homeschooling route!!!

MaiPnut
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi!  I decided to homeschool my special needs child who is 8 years old and he will continue to recieve OT, PT and Speech.  I started homeschooling him last year for only 1 quarter then I got discouraged and re-enrolled him for the rest of the year, however, during that quarter he went to school for 3 hours for Math, Language Arts and Speech.  Under the public school DOE system he did not qualify for OT or PT, however, I felt differently and got him assessed and he medically qualified.  I think the best advice I ever got about educating my children is to read to them consistently.  READ, READ, READ!  LOL.  I thought it was such a simple advice and it is, but what a difference it really does make! 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KickButtMama:

Furthermore, the last place to call for info on HS would be the local BOE. Their job is to put the butts in the seats of the local PS, so they most often give misinformation and discourage HS.

I can attest to this.  I took my DD2 in to talk to them about getting some help with her. All they could talk about was when we get her back in school (as if she's not now?) and how we need to reenroll her, and how the competition will be good for her. (She has chronic pain and is not able to function fully in a traditional setting).  It was extremly frustrating.

Talk to your son's therapist and pediatrician for information on how to keep his services.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)