Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Please someone I need help..........................

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:54 AM
  • 16 Replies

Hello, I have been posting for a few days, I feel so left out. I want to homeschool a child with autism and dd, but where do I start. As I write this I sit here in tears reading all the post, I am alone and noone seems to understand how hard it is to see her being abused with the name calling at public school and an impatient teacher at a special school. She is 13 and doing k to 2 grade work and they are going to push her to the 8th grade. Can anyone help me. Can I do this without having to get a secondary school involved? Please I need help.   Sheila

I live in Ohio, in amish country.......please any help for me? I hope someone understand the issues i am going through and will offer a hand to me.

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi, there!  I don't know about the laws in Ohio.  That's where I would start.  Find out the laws in your state.  Then I would either find a curriculum I like or I would decide to unschool for a year or so.  It sounds like you both need a break froom the industrialized nature of education here in the US.  Just reclaim your humanity for a while.  Then start fresh when you are ready to.  Actually some moms on here will unschool permanently, but I always feel out in left feild when I don't have some structure. 

Is that your dd in your avi pic?  She's beautiful!  Give her a great big hug!  She doesn't deserve what happened to her at those schools and you can do better!

HUGS!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Go to hslda.com and click on the Ohio laws. I am in s.w. Ohio - its super easy to homeschool here. I can't give a lot of advice on hsing with autism, but I know there are TONS of ladies on here who homeschool autistic children and they thrive! You can do this, and it will be the best decision you've made! A group sometimes just isn't the best environment for autistic children. Too much going on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jsplash23
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I can't speak from experience about homeschooling with autism, but one of my closest friend's does it. And she does it for the reasons you mentioned (bullying & uncaring teachers). One of the most important things you can do is to join a support group of other mothers who homeschool- possibly even one geared towards mothers of autistic children. There you will get lots of help & tips that even the organizations won't have. I think these 2 websites will also help you. 

http://www.homeschoolinginohio.com/

http://ohiohomeeducators.net/

Good luck to you!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Oh sweetie, I feel your pain. My eldest has ASD/SPD/PDD. His best friend also has ASD. We have always homeschooled. But his BFF went to PS for a few years and it was horrible how they treated him. I won't lie and say HS is easy breezy, but we absolutely LOVE it and I see my son blossoming and learning in the way HE needs, the way his mind works.

There are some awesome homeschool groups in Ohio. Definitely check some of these out - http://www.home-school.com/groups/OH.html you can also search YahooGroups, you can probably find one that is for families with those with special needs. I'm jealous as I know Ohio has LOTs of support for HS, in CT, where I am there is nothing!

Wart with the requirements in your state - http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/laws/blOH.htm

I used to have a friend who homeschooled her 4 kids, including her ASD daughter in Canton. We drove out there to visit a few times. I was so jealous of all the fun things they had for HS'ers there - clubs, like drama, they could attend certain extra-curriculars at a local arts school, but it's a trade off. You have to jump through more hoops to begin HS. I CT we don't have to notify anyone or meet any requirements but we also have zero extras.

Now, onto the special need itself. Every child with autism is different, so don't think I'm making any disorder comparisons. But I look at my eldest, who has 'quirks' he is so well adjusted. I had to throw out all my preconceived notions of ideal learning and progression. I let him have a lot of the control - which means less triggers. Plus he's learning in an environment that he can predict, where he feels utterly safe. The hard part is that he doesn't think in linear patterns, and he is a complete 'Visual Literalist' (a term I coined..loo). This makes it difficult as he can't take tests. But he flourishes with things like apps on the iPad (as they are visual and inactive), our co-operatives, and websites like www.khanacademy.org. Your daughter might also like a website like www.time4learning.com which is very visually stimulating until about the 3rd grade level.

I know many OH HS'ers choose to use online learning like K12, but I would really discourage it for your daughter as it is the same curriculum as PS.

Hugs, I'm here for you!
Shannon

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:44 AM

If you Contact your State Home School Associations, they usually are most helpful with laws, and can sometimes put you in touch with other home educators in your situation:  Following are two Ohio Home School associations:

HIO

CHEO

Also following is a blog by a mother who home Schools a child with Aspergers. She might be helpful

Homeschooling Aspergers

Homeschooling a Child With Aspergers Syndrome is a book available on Amazon

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I have 2 sons with Autism & my oldest went through what your daughter is going through. That is why we started homeschooling, we are unschoolers now & my oldest has thrived in this way of life.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I'm in Ohio, South of you, but if you have any questions about the laws, give me a holler. Good luck! You'll do great!

Oh, you should still be able to get any special therapies from the school district free.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I have a 9 y/o ds who is on the autism spectrum who I homeschool.  I understand what it is like to be frustrated and not know what to do next.  Hs has been the best thing for my son.  He is learning at his own pace in a safe predictable environment.  The most important thing is he is happy.  I don't use any special services from my school district.  I do have a private tutor that works on behavior issues with him (paid for by a grant).  It is possible to hs kids on the spectrum.  Not only is it possible, but many families do it.  If you ever need someone to listen or have questions please feel free to message me on CM.  Good luck! 

Saraho5
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM
I don't have any advice, but sounds like you have some great advice above!!

You can do this!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof030404
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM

A good friend of mine has a blog and she homeschools her child with Autism.

http://www.meetpenny.com/

She is really sweet and she also has boards on Pinterest spacifically geared to teaching thise with Autism! This next year will be our first year homeschooling too so I really do wish you the BEST of luck! I really do understand the overwhelming factor! I JUST chose all my curriculum today and have been looking for over 6 months! I would NOT have been able to do it with out the women from my covering! I would FOR SURE look for homeschooling groups IN your community!! Hope some of that helps!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN