Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone know a good phonics curriculum for first or second grade?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:39 PM
  • 12 Replies

My seven year old and I are going to be starting homeschool in the fall, but she needs a better base in phonics so that she has the tools to advance in reading. I am looking for a good program to teach her phonics, but am not sure where to start looking. Any suggestions?

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saraho5
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Maybe check out Abeka or Saxon phonics program :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofSCMJJA
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:06 PM

The Writing Road to Reading:  The Spaulding Method for Teaching Speech, Spelling, Writing, and Reading by Romalda Bishop Spaulding and Mary Elizabeth North.

Best stuff ever!

Shari55
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Horizon has a pretty good phonics program, I used this last year with my K4-K5 class. Although it is a Christian program, you could elminate the verses and come up with a fun sentence that uses the letter of the week. What we also did was a collage with the letter of the week. 

Shari, wife to bestfriend John (4/88), mom to Heather(1/77),Nyssa(4/89),Michaela (8/94) and four fur babies (cats)

momof030404
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

WE use something called Starfall.com and REALLY love it!! My big girls used it in public school! A LOT of the site is free and we have been playing around on it with my PreKer but you can join and get FULL access for ONLY $35 for the year.....and I am thinking we will!! Everyone I know on it loves it!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Try all about spelling. We LOVE it, and it is phonics/spelling together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saraho5
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:45 PM
^ I agree with All About Spelling! We have been doing this this summer. We should finish and them I'm going to get the next level for Fall. She knew her sounds etc so we went through some lessons really quickly...just to get how the program worked etc. I REALLY like it.
But was considering purchasing abeka phonics/reading first grade, but as I sit and type I'm not sure lol.
I'm wondering if I could get the next level of AAS and then AAR too instead of something in addition to this. Oh man, I think I've confused myself again!! lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM

We tried Hocked on Phonics but the kids didn't like it so we just learn it from playing free online games & reading.

SilentDraconia
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Saxton is awesome and we love horizons spelling. My youngest is doing hooked on phonics and my oldest is jumping in with it too ( helping)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this
ALL ABOUT SPELLING...love it. DD who is above average and DS2 withy ADHD both thrive on it.

It uses touch, sight and sound so it works for a variety of learners.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I use some of the free websites for this plus flashcards, I also wrote down some lessons on paper that I thought would help them learn. We also had a chalkboard that I did school on but that got lost so we have a whiteboard that we use now.  Are you looking to buy a certain type of curriculum or want to do something on your own?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)