Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you think about students being separated by sex? Good idea or bad idea?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:20 AM
  • 11 Replies

Public School Puts Boys & Girls Into Different Classrooms

Posted by Deborah Cruz on July 10, 2012 

classroomAn Idaho educator is making national news for separating the boys from the girls at her elementary school in southwestern Idaho. And I can see why: This has the stink of separate but equal all over it. It didn’t work during segregation and it won’t work now.

Robin Gilbert’s school is one of dozens of public schools being targeted by the American Civil Liberties Union in a battle to decide whether or not single-sex learning is a violation of our civil liberties.

When I was in college I chose to spend my freshman year living in an all girls dorm because I didn’t want the distraction of boys. Granted they were still all over campus and in my classrooms but at least I had one place free of testosterone where I could just be myself without worrying about what some guy was thinking about what I was doing, how I looked or behaved. This was what I chose; no one told me that I had to be separated from the boys.

I agree with the schools that separating boys and girls into classrooms by sex will definitely help to teach them in a way that works better for each sex and eliminate distractions but I think that it will end up feeding into gender stereotypes. By allowing the schools to decide to separate and determine how the kids will be taught and where the emphasis on different parts of the curriculum will lie, it gives the teachers too much responsibility and power over the child. Depending on what each teacher's own personal philosophy is on the sexes, they could teach different things or place emphasis on different subjects resulting in shortchanging our children's education.

I personally don’t want my girls cut any slack because some random teacher thinks women are not good at math or won’t need to know how to use advanced physics. The fact that some teacher might think it’s more important to teach my daughters how to cook and sew instead of figure out algebraic formulas scares me.

Obviously, we all know that women can be anything a man can be but I don’t want to leave the decision in the hands of a stranger. I am entrusting my children into the care of the school system to be taught the foundations to become anything they want to be in this world. The last thing I want is for my girls to be brainwashed into believing they have to live in a pink sparkly world and their only option is to be someone’s wife.

What do you think about students being separated by sex? Good idea or bad idea?

by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:34 AM
I think it is a TERRIBLE idea. Especially for elementary school, it just brings the idea of differ des to the forefront. I could see it for middle/high school when hormones interfere with learning, but elementary?
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I also think it is a terrible idea.  As a former high school teacher, I even think it would be a bad idea for high school.  I've been in 2 situations that would have gone badly if it weren't for both sexes in the classroom.  1.  My high school math teacher didn't think girls could "get" the math he was teaching... proofing geometry... because it was logical and girls aren't (in the 90's can you believe it?)  If he had been teaching an all girls class I feel certain that he would have dumbed down that math!

2.  I had a student in my english class who was gay.  He only had female friends.  The boys never outright teased him (that wouldn't have flown in my class) but I have a feeling they thought he was thinking of them sexually the way they did some of the girls in their class or that the gay might rub off on them. 
One way or another, if he were in a classroom full of only boys, he would have been one lonely guy.  Not fair to him at all!

Moma3boyz
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Not in elm. school. Now when they are older for like health or s*x ed, I think its better to have boys in one class and girls in another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Bad idea!  Both sexes have something to bring to the table.  I have a boy and girl and they both have friends of the opposite sex.  It's good for them to see how the opposite sex thinks.

snowangel1979
by Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM
I'm going to disagree.
I think It's a good idea.
Boys and girls learn different, develop different socially and mentally when they're younger.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaya529
by Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM
I think that it will have a negative affect on some students.

I was always a tomboy. I dressed like the guys and acted like them. I have always felt uncomfortable around girls. I was even put in an all girls group during probation and it was a complete disaster. I just clam up and get really nervous. I would not be able to be at my best in an all girl classroom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM

That is a tough one.  I see points for both arguments.

I agree with snowangel.  I have boys that are 14 and a daughter that is 5.  My daughter developed so much faser in most areas compared to my boys when they were that.  She also learns alot faster. 

I could also see the danger of a teacher wanting to skip or lessen certain skills/lessons according to whether he/she is teaching boys/girls.

I do think that they should definitely be separated at P.E., Health, and Sex educationas they get older though.  I would love to say that they should be separated in highschool completely, but I'm afraid if that happened it would give the studentsmore of a reason to skipclasses so they could be together and that could cause many  more problems..

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM
3 moms liked this

It would make school even more detached from the real world!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I think it has pros and cons just like anything else. 

Momma4213
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM

When I was in 6th grade they decided to do this at the middle school. It was their trial run and I HATED it. I had MORE trouble concentrating because I was uncomfortable. I didn't learn anything new in most classes. Where a lot of the girls were shy when boys were around, in class with all girls they were loud and mean. I think if they do this in all schools it will end up being a disaster with higher drop out rates. Not to mention, like what usmom3 said. Everyone says school teaches you for the real world. Are they going to start keeping girls and boys away from eachother there too? I don't think so. How are kids to learn to work with the opposite sex when they weren't introduced until after high school?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN