Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Evaluators? (Update in red)

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM
  • 13 Replies

Okay, so I've been chewing on this awhile.  My neighbor had her portfolio failed (or rejected, I'm not sure what the difference is).  Having her portfolio failed means that she couldn't file her affidavit for this year's school year.  Her son is only 6, so she decided she would just give him a year off and make an affidavit for next year (Due July 1st each year).  BUT since he was registered this year, he MUST attend a school this year.  Since he has no affidavit on record for this year he must either get into a cyber-school or enroll in the B&M.

So anyone in PA that has advice or knows the laws better than we do?  OR anyone have another idea?

I just don't know what to tell her.  She's really upset!

Updated August 1st!

HSDLA wrote a letter to the evaluator and the superintendent.  They are not allowed to ask for some of the things they were.  She's able to homeschool this year!!  YAY!  Thank goodness she had written her affidavit anyway or she would have missed the deadline!  Her son was having a bit of a panic attack about going to the B&M.  He's heard Xavier talking about lunch and did NOT want to go!

by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Isn't there some kind of appeals process?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Isn't there some kind of appeals process?

You need an evaluator in your district to pass you.  In our county, we have 2 and they are horrible!  My portfolio had to be segmented in a certain way, I needed signatures to show music classes and gym classes, we were part of the same homeschooling group and the leader had to sign the portfolio.  Even though our kids are both too small to take the pssa tests we needed a section for the results.  They were particular!!! And since they are the only 2 acceptable to our district superintendent, it sounds as though.... no, no appeal.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

That sucks! I am so sorry to here this for her I hope that there is someone on here that can help you!

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Oh, that sounds awfull!!!  I think that's  terrible to have so many restrictions on learning.  My only advice is to move!!!(Just kidding)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Quoting irvinehiker:

Oh, that sounds awfull!!!  I think that's  terrible to have so many restrictions on learning.  My only advice is to move!!!(Just kidding)

She'd probably think that was better advice than "go to the public school for the year" which is what her mom is telling her!

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Quoting irvinehiker:

I know you were kidding but I actually know someone who move to my state from PA  because of the homeschool laws. They expected her adopted son from Russia to be on track with his homeschooling when he had only been in the US a little over a year.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting irvinehiker:

I know you were kidding but I actually know someone who move to my state from PA  because of the homeschool laws. They expected her adopted son from Russia to be on track with his homeschooling when he had only been in the US a little over a year.

Yep, I can see them being that crazy here! 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Bump!  Anyone know anything about PA evaluators?

officiallyapeac
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:50 AM

That sucks!  But...if you cyber school at least  the child would be at home . There is more flexiblility with the schedule, and he wouldn't miss out on school. And your neighbor could use the extra time to perfect her portfolio for the next school year. Hope this help!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Quoting officiallyapeac:

That sucks!  But...if you cyber school at least  the child would be at home . There is more flexiblility with the schedule, and he wouldn't miss out on school. And your neighbor could use the extra time to perfect her portfolio for the next school year. Hope this help!

That was my advice to her, but she's worried about how hard it may be to unenroll the following year.  Since I just enrolled for the full package this year, I have no idea how easy or hard it is.  Do you know?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)