Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

HS for 11th grade?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:55 PM
  • 9 Replies

HELP!?!?!?!?

my kid just decided she wanted to HS! she will be an 11th grader.  i have been planning on HS with my 5yr old but that is a little different than jumping in head first with highschool. here to start with curriclum??

by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Shari55
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 6:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Take a deep breath...let it out slowly....again, okay check with your state laws on homeschooling. How many credits does your daughter need to meet the graduation requirements? The reason I am asking is because she may have enough towards Math, English etc. Then all she would need is the elective credits.

If you want a Christian based curriculum Christian Liberty Academy has an excellent program...it is challenging and relatively inexpensive. Christian Liberty Press also has bundled curriculum that is inexpensive too. There is also Sonlight that is literature based, but that can get expensive. 

When I homeschooled my now 23 yr. old we just pieced together a curriculum based on her career goals, she didn't want to attend college at that time. 

Shari, wife to bestfriend John (4/88), mom to Heather(1/77),Nyssa(4/89),Michaela (8/94) and four fur babies (cats)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with Sheri! Breathe!! I HS'ed for my 11 & 12 grades. It was awesome! I learned to love learning (definitely NOT something taught in ps). I just researched what I needed for my SAT and college enterance and started my curriculum from there.

I also highly recommend www.khanacademy.org it has science, math, economics, etc. have her read the classics and start a reading journal. Treat reading like belonging to a book club, in fact maybe you can find one through your local library? I also suggest having her read A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn it is an awesome history book that reads like a novel.
AmyG1976
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

my sister started homeschooling in 10th my dh and my sisters dh in 11th my oldest dd in 9th. then my other kids in prek,2ed and 4th no difference. highschool kids can do a lot of work on their own. for the first 2 years my dd theamericanschool.com (got though all 18 credits) then this year has abeka history a few sos classes and some Cclep classes and co-op

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~A wife of 14 years to B mommy of 16 years to J, 11 year old D, 9 year old M, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks J 7 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

What are you looking for? A planned curriculum or are you looking for something you can use from the internet?  Here are some links you might want to try while you are deciding what it is you want to do. 

http://tulyn.com/11th-grade-math/worksheets

http://tah4all.org/lesson_plans/grade_11/index.html

http://www.for-teachers.com/.high-school-teaching-resources/.distance-education/.eleventh-grade-earth-science-lesson-plans/.11th-grade-earth-science-lessons.php

I hope these are helpful to you. I do this for my own kids. I have 7 at various stages/grades and a graduate this past school year.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM

thanks. yall are so awesome! i am gonna check out those links! to be honest i am not entirely sure what i am looking for.

ever heard of this?   completecurriclum.com

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Quoting twyliatepeka:

thanks. yall are so awesome! i am gonna check out those links! to be honest i am not entirely sure what i am looking for.

ever heard of this?   completecurriclum.com

No, I've never heard of this. I checked it out and it seems okay.  : )

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:47 AM

thanks. i have a friend using it but it is her 1st time with it too & her kids are younger. she likes it so far, says it is fairly easy to use.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

HELP!?!?!?!?

my kid just decided she wanted to HS! she will be an 11th grader.  i have been planning on HS with my 5yr old but that is a little different than jumping in head first with highschool. here to start with curriclum??

oredeb
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM

is your daughter going to want to go to college?

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Quoting oredeb:

is your daughter going to want to go to college?

she wants to be a veterinarian.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)