Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

going to ps for high school after homeschooling?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM
  • 4 Replies
Hi there hs moms. Our 12 yr old ds wants to go into medical bioengineering. Always interested in science from a young age. He's technically a rising 7th grader. Lately he's been asking about going to ps for high school. We hs his older sisters all the way through high school. None of our children have attended school, public OR private, until post high school. They have attended hs classes at a co-op or resource ctr, though. He may be able to take math and science courses at a resource ctr this fall.
I don't have a clue where to start as far as looking into the high school beyond knowing which one he would attend.
Anyone been through this? Thought? Suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I think, if you do support his wish, you need to make an appointment with the high school guidance counselor and take along with his most recent test scores. If he hasn't tested, they can help you get him tested and see exactly where he is. They can explain how to prepare him to get into the AP courses he would need. There also might be some red tape to allow him into the right courses. Lots of high schools won't let you into an accelerated Math class unless you passed certain classes beforehand.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 15, 2012 at 7:42 PM
We are sending my oldest to public high school at his request. We called the local district about his options and he will be going to a choice program at one of the local high schools. He will be doing a robotics/engineering program.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awilliams77
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have also reached out to two local moms whose teens went to ps for high school after homeschooling, but haven't heard back yet.
I am not quite sure how I feel about ps....SC is in the bottom 5 states for education....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd was also 12 when she decided she'd like to go to public high school.  She's a dancer and her dream was to go to one of the great performing arts schools here in NYC.  We researched a few, went to open houses in the fall of 8th grade, she auditioned for 3 of them, and in the spring she found out she was accepted to (what I believe is) the best PA school in the country.  She's now going into junior year and she loves it more than anything.  

Take a look at greatschools.org and read the reviews on the schools you're considering (and all the schools in your area).  See if you can take a tour of the schools together.  Speak with the administrative offices to see how to apply.  

I know it can be frightening for you not knowing what to expect from it.  The great thing about homeschoolers is that they have a great sense of self, great organizational skills, and an independence and maturity that many schooled kids lack.  These traits benefit them greatly in high school.  Since she is the one who is making the choice, she will most likely enjoy it more and do well.- as opposed to kids who are forced to go to school.  That's what I've found with my own kids.  My ds is 11 and he's planning on attending public high school like his sisters did.  

And remember, nothing is ever set in stone.  If it doesn't work out, he can always return home.  

Angela

dd(18) Freshman in college, dd(15) Sophomore at the (real) Fame school,                                               ds(11) 5th Grade homeschooler

Visit my Blog

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)