Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Extra curricular activities....socializing activities....etc?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM
  • 11 Replies

What extra curricular activities aside from the basic subjects will your kids participate in this year? Also what type of socialization do they get?

I plan on have my kids do PE every day. We have a basket ball goal set up which they LOVE to play with. They also have bikes. My boys will also play soccer starting in August. Then my oldest wants to try basket ball this winter. Our homeschool group also meets once a week for PE. I also am thinking about teaching them music. Especially since my oldest son LOVES music and wants to play the guitar and the violin. (I wonder how hard it would be for me (someone without experience) to teach them how to play. I figured I could start by teaching them how to read music...which I learned in school. And then I could get a started book for the instraments the choose. Guess we shall see how that goes LOL. My aunt also will give my kids riding lessons once a week. And I am hoping art lessons once a week. I myself will have art with them once a week as well! 

As far as socializing goes I feel confident they will get plenty. They will attend Sunday school and Church every Sunday. Starting in Sept they will also attend the Awana program every Sunday afternoon. Then they will have their sports etc. We also are joining a homeschool group. We go to church with many of the family's so we already know them well. They meet once a week. And they have field trips once or twice a month. My oldest son also will start music therapy in the coming weeks to work with him on some of the issues he struggles with. So overall I think they will get plenty of interaction...what do you think LOL

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BramblePatch
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:05 AM
DD(4) has horseback riding lessons and will add in ice skating lessons this fall. DS(5) has 4H Cloverbuds (he is in the rabbit group) and has camps and classes throughout the year at the botanical garden and he will take ice skating lessons for hockey this fall.

I am not concerned about socialization. My kids can carry conversations with anyone of any age. They are well mannered and polite.... I love the mantra that "forced association is not socialization".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaQuan_Jayla
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:17 AM
My DS(4) , will have art, PE(nothing serious) . Next year when I hs for kindergartner , I was thinking woodshop because he like building things, he said he want to be a construction worker(he saw one, one day and was so amazed) I never heard no kid say that usually they say firefighter or police LOL so I am going to do things that he interested in plus I will find stuff that will benefit him later. Oh yeah hockey and soccer he want to learn
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:14 AM
We do a co-op. otherwise, we have done town soccer through the park and rec and scouts, otherwise that's it!
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:17 AM

We have church and awana weekly.  My dd is in girls scouts, volunteers once a week, activities at our community center.  We live in a neighborhood with lots of kids so there is always someone to play with. 

For extra curriculars we will have music(maybe piano lessons), art(which my dd LOVES) and french. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:20 AM

We take karate together.  It is about 3 times per week, gymnastics for my younger son once per week, 2 weekly co-ops, field trips and play dates, museums with friends.  Social activity is not a problem for us.  My kids are very social and love all our activities.  

melindabelcher
by Mel on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Ds(will be 5) will be doing soccer and karate. Goes to childrens church wed thur and sun. Goes to play group once a week and story hr 1-3 times a week.
Dd1(will be 3) she'll be doing dance childrens church, story time and play group like her brother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Chels
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Extras as far as school goes, we do art music and just started latin for the first time.

My dd is in soccer (ds wants to play this fall too since he's finally old enough!), art classes,keepers at home (think ,girl scouts but christian based) church activities, homeschool group co-op and get togethers.  Plus there are LOTS of kids in our neighborhood that they play with on  daily basis.

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Swimming lessons, hip hop, classical literature, cooking, science, homeschool pe, french, soccer and art.

LilySlim - (d3wP)

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Classes & activities haven't been advertised in my aria yet so I don't know for sure all that we will end up doing.

mamabens
by Miranda on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:40 AM

We go to church 3 x's a week, the girls have gymnastics once a week & they play outside &with  other kids in my mothers neighborhood. They get more socialization now than they did in public school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)