Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How does game play go down in your house?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 4:57 AM
  • 3 Replies

Educational Games Don't Teach Kids Anything If They Can't Lose!

Posted by Jeanne Sager on July 14, 2012 

Mya and MomsI can't be the only mom who watches every episode of Mya and Her Moms with a big ol' grin on my face. Yup, the two lesbians moms raise their little girl just like the rest of us. And just like the rest of us, there is one great debate in their house. Do you let the kid win at games or not?

Eight-year-old Mya has it both ways, depending on which parent she's with. One mom plays games that are all about education ... and there is no winner or loser. The other mom lets her let out her competitive spirit.

So what happens in our house? I am putting it out on the Internet now, fully aware that one day she will Google herself and find the evidence to use against me in therapy.

We are a competitive board-game playing household. No happy, happy, everyone wins games in this house!

There is nothing like a night of Sorry and Uno (excuse me, Yankees Uno!) to make us feel like a family. It's a hold-over from the newlywed years when my husband and I were young and broke, and the a Trivial Pursuit marathon was good, clean -- and most importantly cheap -- fun. And I will let it be known that both my husband and I win these games. Often.

Not all the time. And only fair and square. We don't cheat for the glory of making our 7-year-old look bad. But we are trying, trying, trying to use game-play as much to raise a kid who isn't a self-centered brat as we are to pass the time on a Friday night.

Did I mention we're trying?

It's not easy. She has been known to flip a board game. Somehow she picked up the habit of calling people "liar" when she disagrees with them, and we've been on the end of the verbal assault more than once.

Because, ahem, she's 7. And she is still learning. So I guess I agree with both Lisa and Laura after all -- we play games competitively ... and they're educational.

What about you? How does game play go down in your house?

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 4:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:19 AM
I strongly agree that it is important to learn to lose, to handle disappointment, to find out you are not the center of the world. I, personally, think this is one of the biggest problems today - even town sports done score, or give awards to those in first place for fear of hurting hte feelings of those not on that team! Personally I think the result is we are raising a group of people who strive only for mediocrity - why try your hardest if the result is the same. If you hadn't? And it also results in a generation of narcissists. No thanks. My kids know that if they play a board game with mom or dad, then they will most likely lose. This results is much partying if they happen to beat one of us! Lol...plus the boys play eachother all the time.

I feel like I've been doing the right approach. A few weeks ago my youngest was losing a video game and he was crying, my oldest turned to him and in a very serious voice said, "it is not about winning or losing, it is all about having fun!"
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:43 AM

We don't let them win but if we are playing a game that is new to them & we make a glaring mistake we will then help them see the options of their move & explain how they can take advantage of our mistake. That only gets done the first few times we play & as soon as we see them understanding how it all works we stop & now they kick my butt because they are just better at the games!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM
We do educational and competitive because I think it's important for her to win and lose. We don't sway it one way or the other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)