Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kickbutt's Science Notebook

Posted by   + Show Post
As you all have no doubt seen, I've been writing one post per day on a kitchen experiment. I just thought, for reference, it would be easier to have in one location. I'll just add a new experiment each day in the replies. Keep on learning!

Ok, I admit it, I'm addicted to science. I would happily throw away all other subjects and just devote my kids learning to that one, if it were possible. Lol! As many of you know, I used to be an aeronautical/electrical engineer. I hold degrees in Physics & Geology. In this post I'll be posting my favorite science experiments. They most often include products found around your house (no fancy equipment needed!)

Each of my kids has a Science Journal. In it they write out every experiment, hypothesis and result. I have them format it the way many colleges require for Lab classes. The journal is one of those bound notebooks.

Format:

Experiment title

Supplies: a billeted list of all supplies, with exact measurements and weights

Process: a numbered list of the step by step process used, plus any variations

Hypothesis: what the kids think might happen as a result of the experiment

Conclusion: what the final result of the experiment was, did it match their hypotheses - why or why not. This also includes a paragraph or so explanation of what happened.

Voila. Science is complete! We don't stick to a specific form of science usually, we tend to mix things us. But we do an experiment just about every day.

Shannon

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
oredeb
by debbie on Jul. 17, 2012 at 2:31 PM

these are fantastic shannon!!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Quoting oredeb:

these are fantastic shannon!!

Thanks Debbie! Science is my easiest and most favorite subject, can you tell? Lol

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Experiment 10: Magic Card Trick

We actually first did this trick last spring for a local science fair. My youngest did the next two experiments as a part of his display on the awesome capabilities of air & water pressure!

Supplies

Small glass or plastic cup (it must have a rather sharp or flat rim with no bends)
Water
1 index card

Process:

1) fill the glass about 3/4 of the way full of water
2) lay the index card flat across the open end of the glass.
3) support the card with the flat of your hand as you quickly turn the cu upside down
4) remove your hand, amaze your family & friends with the fact that the card stays in place and doesn't fall!! (don't leave it too long upside down though, once the water soaks into the card enough it will destroy the seal and the water will go everywhere!)

Explanation:

The reason the card stays in place is based on 2 laws. First Newtons second law of motion: "every action has an equal and opposite reaction" and air pressure vs water pressure. (or more specifically air pressure vs the force of gravity)

Essentially the water in the cup is pushing down with the force of gravity (9.8 meters/second squared). While this force is pointing toward the ground, the air outside the cup of pushing upwards on the card. For a period of time this creates a seal between the card and the edge of the cup. Furthermore there are way more air molecules outside of the cup than there are water molecules inside the cup. This is the true reason for the 'magic'. All air molecules are trying to raise up. This means there is a pressure imbalance. It's like having a car hit a brick wall. If it is a small wall the wall will be destroyed by the car - because there are too many molecules in the car acting against the fewer molecules in the wall. But if it is a gigantic stone wall (like a concrete bridge support) then the car is the one with more damage - as there are more molecules in the wall than there are in the car.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Experiment 11: Water Pressure vs. Air

This is another experiment that doubles as a magic tric. Amaze your family and friends with this experiment!

Supplies:
1 plastic bottle with a top (it can be a 16 oz-2 liter)
Water
Sharp knife or drill (CAUTION!!)
Sink or bucket

Process:

1) have an adult use the sharp knife or drill to make tiny holes along the bottom underside of the bottle. If using a bottle that has 4 little feet (small protrusions) then put one hole in the bottom of each; if your bottle is flat edged n the bottom, then just make 4 equally spaced holes
2) fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full with water.
3) secret cap on tightly
4) Lift up bottle and be amazed that none of the water leaks out of the holes.
5) holding bottle over sink or bucket tips slightly and watch the water come out of the holes.

Explanation:

Water can only leak out of the holes when air can pass into the bottle via the holes. See inside every object is a constant # of molecules. I an empty bottle the bottle is actually filled with air. If the bottle is filled with water the air is pushed out through the 'mouth' of the bottle. When holding a bottle upright, the air in the bottle goes toward the top the water, toward the bottom. In effect, the water prevents more air from entering the bottle through the small holes - so the water is acting as a plug! When you tip the bottle even slightly, some of the water molecules shifty off of the openings, ever so briefly. This allows some air to enter the bottle and some water to exit the bottle. But it looks like magic to have the water not fall down out of the holes!
adorablemom640
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Thanks for the experiments.  You do this everyday?! 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Quoting adorablemom640:

Thanks for the experiments.  You do this everyday?! 

Just about everyday. Most of these experiments use household items, and don't take more than a few minutes, so it's a great distractor for when the kids get antsy.

Albert Einstein -- 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I can't wait to try the ballon experiment! My kids will LOVE this one!   Great idea Shannon!  Keep this post going every month, please.  :)  You would be a life saver for me.  lol 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 22, 2012 at 4:57 PM
Experiment 12: Growing Crystals

This is a super sweet experiment that tastes good and demonstrates both how crystals grow and how their molecules bind together.

Supplies:

3 cups sugar
1 cup water
Heat
8 oz glass
String
Pencil or small stick (chop stick, skewers, etc)

Process:
1. CAUTION: In a small sauce pan bring the water quickly to a boil.
2. Stir in the sugar! Stirring continually until sugar is dissolved.
3. CAUTION: Carefully pour sugar water into a glass
4. Wrap one end of the string around the stick several times and secure with a knot or piece of tape.
5. Dangle the string into the cup and balance the stick over the opening of the cup.
6. Set aside in fridge or cool, dark place for several days. Watch the crystals form!

**You can add some food coloring to the sugar water if you want to make colored rock candy.

Explanation:

In your sauce pan there are several molecules floating around in your sugar water - hydrogen, oxygen, and sugar. The sugar dissolved from crystal form and distributed into the water. But the molecules are still there. As the solution cools some of the molecules are attracted to eachother and form loose bonds. Most of these bonds break easily. But some of these bonds will be to the string. These are slightly stronger as there is a solid - the string (a substances which is made of tightly bonded atoms) these molecules attract others before their bonds can break. Eventually enough molecules have bonded to the string, they reach a point of critical bonds - this is where the core is strong enough in bonds that it is a solid and will not break as easily as a liquid bond, though it is somewhat brittle. Now this core 'seed' will begin to attract molecules of its own, growing bigger and bigger, layer by layer. If your student checks on their rock candy occasionally over the few days, they might see that there are actually several 'seed' bonds. So there will be multiple locations along the string where these bonds are formed. Eventually the crystals grow so big that these seeds touch and look like a single crystal.

This is the same concept as most crystal formations in nature. Look at stalagmites & stalactites. Here you start with a solid - usually a rock face. Here moisture carries other molecules over the face of the rock. Some of these molecules bond to the surface of the rock and build into beautiful crystal formations.

Vocabulary -

aggregate - composed of a mixture of minerals separable by mechanical means. To come together or collect in a mass or whole.
Stalagmite - minimal deposited (usually of calcite or aragonite) that grows from the floor up in a cavern. Usually formed by surface water.
Stalactite- an icicle shaped mineral deposit that grows from the roof of a cavern down toward the floor. Usually formed of dripping water.
blue52
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Thanks for sharing. I honestly (hate) science and am dreading this School year as Im having to step up the Science area with my son.....

Blue

Moma3boyz
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Hmmm I know where my science lessons are coming from this year lol! Thanks for posting these, you are awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)