Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Books! And HELP!!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM
  • 31 Replies

So my second grader is halfway through the book Peter and the Starcatchers.  I was concerned at first that it would be way too hard for him (it's at a 6th grade reading level), but that was the book he wanted.  He's flying through the book and he understands it (he's been telling me all about it after his silent reading time.)  When we had a week at camp I took a couple of those Magic Treehouse books for him and he read all 3 by Thursday (and he was only reading for the half hour his brothers were in the pool for lessons).  So can I get a list of books that he'll enjoy that aren't way over his head maturity wise (like twilight or the hunger games) but isn't beneath his reading level to the point of boredom or not stretching him any?  He's almost through all the Roald Dahl books I have.  We are planning a trip to the book store in September, so I'd like a nice big list by the time we go!

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Joels-My-Love
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM
I am no help. My oldest girl is only 5yr and is having a hard time learning to read.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Quoting Joels-My-Love:

Im know help. My oldest girl is only 5yr and is having a hard time learning to read.

My 5yo can't read much yet.  It's amazing the bounds they make when it starts connecting for them.  :)

Joels-My-Love
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM
I was starting to wonder if I was doing something wrong... Im happy to know I am not lol :-)...... I just realized I put I am know help instead of I am no help lol....

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Joels-My-Love:

Im know help. My oldest girl is only 5yr and is having a hard time learning to read.

My 5yo can't read much yet.  It's amazing the bounds they make when it starts connecting for them.  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Nope, most kids will pick it up between 4 and 9, that's a BIG gap! 

My brain is always about 15 letters ahead of my typing, so I never comment on those mistakes... I cringe after MANY of my own posts!  LOL

Quoting Joels-My-Love:

I was starting to wonder if I was doing something wrong... Im happy to know I am not lol :-)...... I just realized I put I am know help instead of I am no help lol....

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Joels-My-Love:

Joels-My-Love
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I do it all the time. Then I am like oh I did it again lol. Especially on my nook I make typos all the time. I am not completely used to this touch screen yet lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Nope, most kids will pick it up between 4 and 9, that's a BIG gap! 

My brain is always about 15 letters ahead of my typing, so I never comment on those mistakes... I cringe after MANY of my own posts!  LOL

Quoting Joels-My-Love:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Joels-My-Love:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Has he read any of the classics yet?
Treasure Island
Indian in the cupboard
Pirates on the Caribbean
Etc..Also! My brother got my son a book and my son(who is struggling to read) love it! He has me read a lot to him right now, but he is biting at the bit to read it himself..
It is 'the dangerous book for boys' it has absolutely everything in. From how to make a paper plane to building a go cart. It talks about the solar system, grammar, math, hunting, fishing, soccer. You name it..it's in there! Hours of information to cram into their heads.. ;) a girlfriend of mine said he son is constantly carrying it around with him and building things with it. It is geard for boys ages 8-18..lol it's amazing!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Has he read any of the classics yet?
Treasure Island
Indian in the cupboard
Pirates on the Caribbean
Etc..Also! My brother got my son a book and my son(who is struggling to read) love it! He has me read a lot to him right now, but he is biting at the bit to read it himself..
It is 'the dangerous book for boys' it has absolutely everything in. From how to make a paper plane to building a go cart. It talks about the solar system, grammar, math, hunting, fishing, soccer. You name it..it's in there! Hours of information to cram into their heads.. ;) a girlfriend of mine said he son is constantly carrying it around with him and building things with it. It is geard for boys ages 8-18..lol it's amazing!

He has read some of the classics.  He was very keen to read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland because he wants to read The Looking Glass Wars, but I think it's still a bit above his level.  He read the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Indian in the Cupboard, Nights with Uncle Remus, and he loves the Grimm's Fairy tales (reads them to little brother!)

Treasure Island is a great one!  I think I even have it (somewhere)!  The dangerous book for boys also sounds great, we'll have to put that one on the list!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM
My son is really enjoying the Percy Jackson series. And he's read the Harry Potter series as well.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

My son is really enjoying the Percy Jackson series. And he's read the Harry Potter series as well.

That's great, we have both of those and anything that can save money is a boon!

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I was gonna say look into the classics as well: Peter Pan, Tom Sawyer, The Jungle Book, and Mr. Popper's Pinguins, Black Beauty, and The Lost Prince.

Here are some titles my 2 boys have really loved over the years: The Last Christmas Pageant ever, Charlotte's Web, White Fang (my younger son's fave), Call of the Wild, The Bronze Bow, Anne of Green Gables, King Arthur and His Knights, the Gardians of Ga'Houle series, Hank the Cow Dog series, The Mouse and the Motercycle, the Alex Rider series (my oldest son's all-time faves) and the Harry Potter series.

If he likes to read and can read well, do NOT limit him based on what he "should" be reading at his age : ) Let him flourish and continue to feed his love for reading.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN