Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

We started school today! *pics*

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM
  • 7 Replies

Today was our first day of school! We are using lessonpathways.com.

Most of our work today was watching videos and playing games. I had my son do a worksheet from his Envision Math book and his English workbook.

We also set up our mealworms homes today. They are learning about animal life cycles. That was super fun!

We picked one of the mealworms as our official 'class pet' and the kids named him Squirmy.

School is not like I thought it would be. This is our first full year of homeschooling. I expected them to sit quietly while I taught them. It was soooo not that way! DD (3)(4 in two days) mostly climbed on my desk and played with her brother (7) who is not being homeschooled. DS (9) did his work, played his games, and took quite a few tv breaks. I don't want a lot of book work. And I want school to be fun. I want more games and hands-on activities.

When DS gets finished for the day, I plan on starting DD with the tiny bit of work she has.

I'm exhausted already! Between helping DS, doing laundry, dishes, and other random housework. My phone won't stop riniging.

Please tell me this gets easier!!

Here are some pics

1.Squirmy         2.Our school work space (half of our dining room (you can see her party decor still up from up bday party yesterday in the corner lol  

3.DD coloring her ABC Airplane banner                    4.DS playing Bus Driver Math

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:39 PM

your house is soo much cleaner than mine! LOL

It sounds like you are off to a wonderful start. 8) Try just letting the answering machine or voice mail pick up.

supermom2xlb
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Oh, trust me, it's a mess! Sink's full, sofa is full of laundry...it's bad! lol I  put my phone on silent, but it still annoys me that people call multiple times after me telling them "We don't answer the phone during school hours"

Quoting mem82:

your house is soo much cleaner than mine! LOL

It sounds like you are off to a wonderful start. 8) Try just letting the answering machine or voice mail pick up.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I don't think quiet is my children's vocabulary!  So I'm with you!

I felt that way in the beginning, but then i learned what I could let slip and what needed to happen, what my hubby had to pick up and what my kids could start doing.  Now things run more smoothly!  Hang in there, it gets better!

supermom2xlb
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I thought about setting a time in the evening and assigning everyone chores. That way the house would get clean and if everyone is helping, it will get done a lot quicker!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I don't think quiet is my children's vocabulary!  So I'm with you!

I felt that way in the beginning, but then i learned what I could let slip and what needed to happen, what my hubby had to pick up and what my kids could start doing.  Now things run more smoothly!  Hang in there, it gets better!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 16, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Yes, your house is sooooooo much cleaner than mine too!    ahahahahaha  :))

Seems to me that you are off to a great start!   Those are some great pics too.  :)  Maybe you might want to incorporate their inability to sit still for any length of time into some type of schooling. Like gym. They need to expend their energies and what better way than to have them do some one legged jumps and such?  :)

oredeb
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

yes supermom it gets easier!! as time goes by you'll get into the flow ,all of you! how bout the kids helping you with the chores before school starts and after school ends?

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:16 PM

how exciting :) I'm really looking forward to starting this fall.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN