Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Im afraid....

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM
  • 5 Replies

This year is going to be my first year homeschooling. I am going to have my 3 daughters who are 3rd, 7th, and 8th grades.

Im scared to death!

My biggest worry is about my 8th grader. She is brilliant! She has ALWAYS been advanced. I am so afraid that Im not gonna give her what she needs to excel. She is 13 but has been reading highschool based literature since she was about 11.

How can I be sure that she is gaining the knowledge that she needs and that Im giving her curriculum that is challenging for her?

I know it will be ok, I just dont want to fail my children.

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Scared is okay, it means you care.  Now, throw scared away, because you can do this!  You will know how challenging it is.  If she breezes through everything, you will find her more challenging things to do.  You've been helping her to excel since she was born.  You are not going to start holding her back now that you are teaching her.  :)

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM

When I first began many years ago I had one (age 11 at the time) that was also  very advanced. When he was in school all they could think to do with him was skip him up in grades and that didn't challenge him either. At home I was able to let him study what he wanted and how fast he wanted. Didn't do anything special.  He kind of led the way on how much he wanted to do.  He was in college at 16.  You will do great!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly? My biggest piece of advice? TALK TO HER! She is old enough to have a hand in the decision making process when it comes to curriculum. And keep the lines of communication open. If she is advanced then let her know you'll never be forcing her to complete an assignment just to say it is done. If you keep the lines of communication open then she will tell you if it is too easy or too hard. Advanced kids are pretty motivated on their own, let her get excited with things at interest her and you'll never have to worry about her curriculum again!
oredeb
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:50 PM

what i did with my high schoolers was get them involved in what they wanted to learn, ask her what she wants to learn about, what are her interestes, let her research, let her teach some of the younger kids,

and literature is different than an 8th grade science book, or english book, or math book , ive taught some kids that excelled in lit, but when it came to opening up a science or math  book it wasnt that easy.

cryscrab
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Thanks ladies. I have talked alot with her already, she is one of the main reasons we are homeschooling, she begged for it for a couple years. She has already expressed alot of different things she would like to learn about so I think we are gonna be ok!

It makes things alot easier for me to be able to come here and voice my concerns and have you ladies to talk to so thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)