Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We started piano lessons today. (sigh)

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:20 PM
  • 18 Replies

and half way through I was asking myself why I feel the need to teach my children everything on my own.

I love teaching my children and take pride in teaching them everything I can by myself..plus I have 14 years of piano under my belt and used to teach lessons on the side. You would think it would be easy to teach your own kids. But no...it's not. *facepalm.

My son(7) is very strong willed (he got it honest ;o) and it took us a while to develop the teacher/student relationship and I assumed that would flow over into piano..nope there was no flowing..it is like starting over with him.

But that is ok! We will push through and we will be fine.

We are still recovering from k12 overload..I think it really effected his learning attitude. The shoved so much at him that he would either shut down, or take on the 'I know it' attitude. He is doin so much better with school now that we changed, but is still struggling to just relax and learn with other things. I am determind to teach him..so we pushed on today and finished the lesson.

Once he relaxed and listened he did great! He is downstairs right now showing his sister what he learned.I am very proud of him. He is a very sweet smart boy. I just hope we can quickly undo the damage that was done th elast couple years. He told me recently he loves to learn new things but did not like the school we used to do.

I am treading easy with him this year. I want him to LOVE learning like his father and I do. 

Ok I am done rambling. Are any of you other moms crazy enough to teach your children music lessons as well as academics? lol

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM

We have a piano sitting in our living room and I keep on thinking I really should teach my kiddos how to play.  Maybe this year.  It just seems we are always so busy with other activities and school  there just isn't enough time. 

Saraho5
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL, I'm cRaZy but not musically inclined! Would love for my kids to learn an instrument...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Hi, my name is Shannon, and I suffer from classic homeschool-mom-over-achiever Syndrom! I've taught my boys karate, as well as acedemics. But I have a black belt so that at least made sense. I began to recognize I might have a slight problem when I was setting out to learn specific things just so I could teach the kids -
Exhibit A:guitar & violin - I played flute for about 14 years, but my boys were interested in learning string instruments, so I had set out learning the basics so I could teach them...

Exhibit B: Latin - I have nev actually taken Latin before, so I not only set out to learn it in order to teach it, but I didn't like the curriculum available, so I also made my own curriculum (with a full workbook and teachers manual..lol..)

I think the problem is I LOVE learning things,cand when I find something fun I want to teach it to my boys. They get different teachers for some of their classes at co-op, they are stuck with me until college. Lol

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I bought the kids a keyboard and Missie was teaching herself. I played the flute for several years so I hope to teach her some of that, too.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:18 AM

LOL!  Did you realize you spelled it Paino?  That said it all!

oredeb
by debbie on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM

we did music all the way through school, piano,keyboard, violin, guitar, mandolin, drums, bass, it was part of it, we started doing it at age 4 and only 5 min. a session, about 3 or 4 sessions a day, they looked forward to it, cuz it wasnt so long! it would drive me crazy any longer!hahaha as they got older we added more time,

DesireMM
by Desire' on Jul. 17, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I had played piano for years, as well as played in competitions.  The youngest (6yrs) insisted on starting lessons, I wanted to wait a little longer, she has attention issues. We are lucky if we can make it 2 minutes before she is distracted. My middle child (8yrs) is blind. So teaching her has been difficult but she loves it. My son (10yrs) has been the easiest. He loves music and is also trying to learn guitar. I bought DVDs for that. :) It may be frustrating at times but hearing the older two play a song for me on their own is well worth it.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Quoting bluerooffarm:

LOL!  Did you realize you spelled it Paino?  That said it all!

CRAP! No! Darn it. Blonde moment! I will be fixing that. I promise I really am not that stupid. Lol
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 17, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Quoting KickButtMama:

Hi, my name is Shannon, and I suffer from classic homeschool-mom-over-achiever Syndrom! I've taught my boys karate, as well as acedemics. But I have a black belt so that at least made sense. I began to recognize I might have a slight problem when I was setting out to learn specific things just so I could teach the kids -
Exhibit A:guitar & violin - I played flute for about 14 years, but my boys were interested in learning string instruments, so I had set out learning the basics so I could teach them...

Exhibit B: Latin - I have nev actually taken Latin before, so I not only set out to learn it in order to teach it, but I didn't like the curriculum available, so I also made my own curriculum (with a full workbook and teachers manual..lol..)

I think the problem is I LOVE learning things,cand when I find something fun I want to teach it to my boys. They get different teachers for some of their classes at co-op, they are stuck with me until college. Lol

Lol yep..you sound like me. He wants to learn guitar and I was trying to figure out how to teach him myself.
I love that you made your own Latin curriculum! That is too cool! Lol
bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I play the piano and am learning to play the guitar with my 9 yr old.  My dh and I have decided to let him take lessons from someone else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)