Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

We started piano lessons today. (sigh)

Posted by   + Show Post

and half way through I was asking myself why I feel the need to teach my children everything on my own.

I love teaching my children and take pride in teaching them everything I can by myself..plus I have 14 years of piano under my belt and used to teach lessons on the side. You would think it would be easy to teach your own kids. But no...it's not. *facepalm.

My son(7) is very strong willed (he got it honest ;o) and it took us a while to develop the teacher/student relationship and I assumed that would flow over into piano..nope there was no flowing..it is like starting over with him.

But that is ok! We will push through and we will be fine.

We are still recovering from k12 overload..I think it really effected his learning attitude. The shoved so much at him that he would either shut down, or take on the 'I know it' attitude. He is doin so much better with school now that we changed, but is still struggling to just relax and learn with other things. I am determind to teach him..so we pushed on today and finished the lesson.

Once he relaxed and listened he did great! He is downstairs right now showing his sister what he learned.I am very proud of him. He is a very sweet smart boy. I just hope we can quickly undo the damage that was done th elast couple years. He told me recently he loves to learn new things but did not like the school we used to do.

I am treading easy with him this year. I want him to LOVE learning like his father and I do. 

Ok I am done rambling. Are any of you other moms crazy enough to teach your children music lessons as well as academics? lol

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Replies (11-18):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

NO, not the piano, but the guitar instead.  Each of the kids are teaching themselves.  And since dad knows how to play the guitar too, he throws in a lesson or two. 

by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I am trying to teach my children to play the piano as well. That is, by far, our most difficult subject. These are my thoughts:

1. Everything else has come REALLY easily to them. Playing the piano is totally different and harder, so of course there is more resistance to it.

2. They already do other things well. It's hard to be back at the beginning of something.

3. Mistakes are loud and clear for the world to hear, and I have a couple of perfectionists.

We are not quitting though. I don't believe in quitting something that is good for you, and there are sooo many benefits to learning to play the piano, such as coordination, concentration and mathematical performance. I also think it's great that they have something that's hard for them so that they can see how proud they'll be when they struggle and come out the other side playing a beautiful song. They love to play once the song has been learned, but oh how I hate to introduce new music even if it is their FAVORITE song!

I like the idea a previous poster gave about breaking it into several small lessons throughout the day. I think we may just implement that this year and see if it makes a difference.

Good luck. It will be worth your struggles, and they'll thank you when they are older and have the ability to just sit down and play for enjoyment.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 17, 2012 at 9:48 PM
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

LOL!  Did you realize you spelled it Paino?  That said it all!

CRAP! No! Darn it. Blonde moment! I will be fixing that. I promise I really am not that stupid. Lol

Well darn, I thought it was on purpose!

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I hear you! I teach piano and I  have pretty muchg given the reigns to my little sister to teach them. I taught her as well, but she still does things a little differently, but its a great learning experience for everyone! She loves it, they rather her teach them and soak up the attention! I have taught them a few times, but get better results when she does it (she's only 12 btw, and my kids are only 4 and 5).

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting DesireMM:

I had played piano for years, as well as played in competitions.  The youngest (6yrs) insisted on starting lessons, I wanted to wait a little longer, she has attention issues. We are lucky if we can make it 2 minutes before she is distracted. My middle child (8yrs) is blind. So teaching her has been difficult but she loves it. My son (10yrs) has been the easiest. He loves music and is also trying to learn guitar. I bought DVDs for that. :) It may be frustrating at times but hearing the older two play a song for me on their own is well worth it.

/I use to tutor a girl was is blind, and sheplayed the piano very well, she loved it! She did play mostly by ear though and had perfect pitch, so eventually we threw away the books (we had some songs in braille).

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
DesireMM
by Desire' on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting DesireMM:

I had played piano for years, as well as played in competitions.  The youngest (6yrs) insisted on starting lessons, I wanted to wait a little longer, she has attention issues. We are lucky if we can make it 2 minutes before she is distracted. My middle child (8yrs) is blind. So teaching her has been difficult but she loves it. My son (10yrs) has been the easiest. He loves music and is also trying to learn guitar. I bought DVDs for that. :) It may be frustrating at times but hearing the older two play a song for me on their own is well worth it.

/I use to tutor a girl was is blind, and sheplayed the piano very well, she loved it! She did play mostly by ear though and had perfect pitch, so eventually we threw away the books (we had some songs in braille).

My daughter plays by ear and memorization. We labeled the keys in Braille and we have songs in Braille. But she will memorize the song before she attempts to play it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)