Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Tips on working on focus?

Posted by   + Show Post
I think I have asked this before, but I cant find it.

My almost 7 year old is a great kid and super smart. However, her focus is not there. You tell her to brush her teeth and, if she makes it to the bathroom without getting side tracked, she will play, look in the mirror, etc for forever instead of brushing.

Help! I cant get anything accomplished because I am always waiting!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM
Replies (21-21):
sheila5745
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Hers what I do,

1) have her put her listening ears on.

2) Look her in the face, which means you both have to be close. Tell her what you want her to do, have her repeat it back to you,

3) as she is walking toward the bathroom, watch her. If she stops. Walk over to her and have her again put her listening ears on, repeat what she is suppose to do. Have her repeat back to you..

4) Praise.... Praise.....Praise..... High fives... make a very big deal when she does get done.. this way the next time she will get a little further.. Parenting class!! The praise and a good deal chart work with stickers, I have a child with autism and I now have her icons all over so she know's what comes next- meds, breakfast, dressed, teeth, face, hair... YEAH!!!!!!

Hope this helps.....I did not read all the views, so I hope I did not repeat anything

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN