Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Do you do a circle type thing in the morning?
If so, what do you use/do?

I was *thinking about doing maybe a calendar (months of year, days of week songs), talk about weather, sing a song or two, etc. Nothing super long but a place we can all gather and get things going.

Kinda rambling...hope I made sense!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Replies (11-19):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:37 PM

We get up at 6:15 and have our "circle time" in the milking room.  The goats are calmer when we are all singing or chanting the same thing instead of the raucous behavior of the boys.  So we sing the doxology, recite the Lord's prayer, or the 23rd Psalm.  Sing the abc's say the pledge of allgience.  Anything that everybody can say or sing together.  The boys like it too and they build up an appetite for breakfast while doing their chores and can't complain about the hunger or the heavy loads while singing!  :)  Everyone wins!

Moma3boyz
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I love the way you think. Lol. We have to work on a morning routine still.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We get up at 6:15 and have our "circle time" in the milking room.  The goats are calmer when we are all singing or chanting the same thing instead of the raucous behavior of the boys.  So we sing the doxology, recite the Lord's prayer, or the 23rd Psalm.  Sing the abc's say the pledge of allgience.  Anything that everybody can say or sing together.  The boys like it too and they build up an appetite for breakfast while doing their chores and can't complain about the hunger or the heavy loads while singing!  :)  Everyone wins!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 18, 2012 at 3:22 PM
I've done circle time when I taught preschoolers in a group setting (either for sign language or at co-op) but honestly at home we just know to turn off the tv's at 10 am and that's about.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM

We have a morning routine that is separate from school (kids up, dressed, come downstairs to do chores, then they can watch tv/video for 20 minutes while I get breakfast ready - at breakfast we read scriptures, and after we have a family prayer). To start school we go over calendar (what day it is, what was yesterday/what is tomorrow, things we have going on today & this week, weather, counting down days to certain events), then read-aloud while they do worksheets/coloring they do related to the read-aloud (we use Sonlight). Then into their individual work.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM

This is pretty much how we start our days.

Quoting hipmomto3:

We have a morning routine that is separate from school (kids up, dressed, come downstairs to do chores, then they can watch tv/video for 20 minutes while I get breakfast ready - at breakfast we read scriptures, and after we have a family prayer). To start school we go over calendar (what day it is, what was yesterday/what is tomorrow, things we have going on today & this week, weather, counting down days to certain events), then read-aloud while they do worksheets/coloring they do related to the read-aloud (we use Sonlight). Then into their individual work.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM

What you are thinking is basically what I do.  I read a mother goose rhyme, then a bible story, then we do days of the week, calander time, then the weather.  We sing songs for just about everything during circle time and move and grove.

Knightquester
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I've always required them to get up, dressed, cleaned, and eat breakfast before doing anything in the morning.

When the kids were little I did a circle time where we went over weather, calendar, time and such before starting their school work.  It was a nice way to jump start our day and they really seemed to enjoy it.  I got everything I needed for a circle time at The Dollar Store, which was nice :-)

They're a lot older now so they prefer to just sit at their work maybe listening to their tunes on their headphones while only coming to me when they have questions.  To me whatever works for them to make them productive works for me.

BramblePatch
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:07 AM
We will not be doing circle time, per say. My kids don't focus well when combined in anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM

With a 10th and 7th grader "circle time" is a thing of the past : ) LOL! Sadly, those days are gone. With my oldest still doing morning swim practice for 2 more weeks, it forces the boys to have very different schedules.

It is cool to see these kind of posts and realize how unique all of our lives are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN