Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Obsessed with ROCKS and Dinosaurs.....help!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi!
We haven't formally started homeschooling yet, but Hannah loves rocks and dinosaurs and will hold up a random rock and ask about it, and wants to know every thing about dinosaurs, which ones are which, what they ate, what their babies looked like, etc. We have gotten book after book from the library, learned the 3 types of rocks, learning what they look like, and we have gone on fossil digs at our local fossil park. We do not have a museum with tons of dinosaurs, we have a museum pass but the dino exhibit is lacking. She has toy dinosaurs that we play with and I tell her about them (what I know) while we play.
I am just wondering if there are any activites, or fun things to do that we can't think of?

BTW she is 4 (5 in oct).  

Cloth diapering, Co-sleeping, Toddler wearing, breastfeeding advocate, ERFing, attachment parenting, home schooling, hippie at heart!
 TTC a 2013 Baby!!!!!!
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Replies (11-13):
Mommy2justone
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the closest natural cave is like 3 hours away, so we might have to make a field trip there soon. They have camp grounds close, so it might be a weekend long field trip, LOL! 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Have you gone to a cave?  My boys are now keeping track of all the caves they have been to and love to explain the differences in how they are formed, different formations in them, what era they are from!  They have a rock collection and are able to say the same stuff for those as well!

Cloth diapering, Co-sleeping, Toddler wearing, breastfeeding advocate, ERFing, attachment parenting, home schooling, hippie at heart!
 TTC a 2013 Baby!!!!!!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Does she like to watch cartoons?  All of my kids have at one time or other loved watching the cartoon Dragon Tails.  In fact, it became a very special time in our family that all kids had to watch it because "daddy" had to and I quote   " Drag our tails " around the room while the kids squeal with delight.  LOL You could incorporate what you are learning with watching this show as its only about 12 to 15 minutes long per episode and they usually are only a half hour show.  This show is really good about incorporating things little children are facing in their day to day lives.  AND I am very picky about what I let me kids watch too but this is one I like myself. : ) 

Oh and my kids had a penchant for knowing all things animal for about a whole year.  Yes, they eventually moved on. lol    Have fun! 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM

PBS has dinosaur train.  They ussually have lesson plans to go with thier shows so that might be something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN