Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have you ever had problems with other homeschoolers?

Posted by   + Show Post

any problems with other homeschoolers? hs kids, hs moms, hs groups,

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Replies (51-57):
oredeb
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

yea!!!!!!glad it worked out so far!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I think it went pretty well. She wasn't terribly unsociable and I noticed she was talking to one kid for quite a while. There were two other moms there and they were very friendly and welcoming. I think we'll go back.

Quoting oredeb:

how did the park go??

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Eeek! Y'all are scaring me!

IBut we're trying a local secular hs group for the first time today for a park afternoon. I'm crossing my fingers that it goes well because she has real trouble relating to the church kids, even though they're all very sweet and welcoming to her. It's like as soon as she sees that they're religious, that's all she sees and she doesn't want to get to know them on a personal level. Kind of an odd reverse discrimination thing and I don't know where it came from or how to fix it.

justgracie
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I got burned early on.  I was part of a very small group that started a co-op.  It was on Fridays and we rented a facility and provided activities.  It grew really fast and went from 15 kids to almost 200 in a year.  Because we had so many kids, the facility made us rent more rooms so our costs went up.

We tried to charge $15 per family per year for the co-op.  You would have thought we asked them to pay with their own blood.  People were really offended and angry.  We got called nasty names.and criticized for being greedy and trying to profit off struggling familes.  Again, we asked for $15 a year per family.

So we quit doing it.  And then I decided it was a big time suck anyway.  I have been asked to join since but there is no way I would sign up for a weekly group now.  We are too busy.

suziejax
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I so wish you lived near me , I am a christian but do not like clicks etc with in the christian community. I started a home school group that is open to ALL home schoolers and promotes respect and love & unity regardless of what you believe. A home schooler is a home schooler! I wanted my kids to learn to embrace with true love everyone and they don't have to believe like we do! 

and thats awesome you stood up for whats right and stopped the bullying! 

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'm am very vocal, so I've had issues with the fact that we are secular non-Christian HS'ers, like the only people allowed to HS are supposed to be of a certain religion.

And I have seen instances of bullying even in our co-op, I've put a stop to them no matter how unpopular that makes me with the crunchy-granola moms.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Yep, I will never lead a co-op again after getting burned early on. We started a science co-op using the Jason Project (back when it was $115 for a classroom license. It has now been free for a few years but they are about to start charging again). We had I think 12 families that started off. I know between the licensing fee and all  the supplies it came $34 a family. The classroom was free, so for the entire year it cost $34 plus planning one lesson for the entire year. We had 2 families back out so the other leader and I split their costs because everyone had a fit that the cost was gong up. Then we had each family pick a chapter to lead (each chapter took 1-4 weeks depending on what it was). Funny how suddenly each family was a no show on their week to be in charge. My co-leader and I ended up studying each weeks lesson plan because we knew we would end up doing it. 

Then at the end I found out a couple of the families said that the co-leader and I raked in the $$ with the co-op. Now remember we each paid $68 instead of $34 and we ended up each teaching 4 or 5  chapters instead of 1. We both said never again

Quoting justgracie:

I got burned early on.  I was part of a very small group that started a co-op.  It was on Fridays and we rented a facility and provided activities.  It grew really fast and went from 15 kids to almost 200 in a year.  Because we had so many kids, the facility made us rent more rooms so our costs went up.

We tried to charge $15 per family per year for the co-op.  You would have thought we asked them to pay with their own blood.  People were really offended and angry.  We got called nasty names.and criticized for being greedy and trying to profit off struggling familes.  Again, we asked for $15 a year per family.

So we quit doing it.  And then I decided it was a big time suck anyway.  I have been asked to join since but there is no way I would sign up for a weekly group now.  We are too busy.

justgracie
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Are they realy going to start charging for JASON again?

Just checked.  My account is closed and they are charging $125 for a homeschool account.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I am pretty bummed about it. We've used it off and on for 10 years I guess. I think the old homeschool fee was $35 back in the day. I know doing to co-op it was cheaper per family and included supplies but no one saw the benefit but myself and my co-leader.  Our fees even included leasing the scientific calculators with weather probes.

Quoting justgracie:

Are they realy going to start charging for JASON again?

Just checked.  My account is closed and they are charging $125 for a homeschool account.

ksmamabear
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
The horror stories make me cringe. It is so sad..I have to wonder how some of us missed the directive to "be kind to one another." That directive did not come with any qualifiers...so I see this attitude of some evangelical Christiansa as being of a decidedly ungodly origin, ie sinful, selfish, and wrongheaded thinking. The way to win others to Christ is not to berate or otherwise mistreat them. Take a note from history, turn or burn is NOT an effective evangelism tool.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN