Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I could SERIOUSLY go into debt with books and decorations alone....

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM
  • 12 Replies

My mom gave me a magazine that came for her today with books, games, and class decorations in it. I am ordering some stuff now. BUT I have had to limit myself BIG time. There is so much to choose from. I could totally spend WAY to much money on this stuff. How do you ladies keep yourself from going over board LOL

The site if your interested is called www.teachercreated.com

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM
My husband is my ever so helpful budgeter (he is the killjoy haha) i could go on for days with stuff I want to order and do and buy for the classroom etc. Etc.
But he ultimately brings me back to the ground and reminds me we only have x, y and z to spend.
Wait for a sale and swoop in for some of the other stuff ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixydustmommy
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I'm our household tightwad, so i don't have any problems, but i also believe in "less is more". I never buy flash cards (if my kids need them, I can make them) or teacher manuals (maybe next year, the oldest will be in 8th grade then) or entire packages or curriculum (lots of stuff that I don't think that we need.

So far this year I have spent nothing. I went to the local used bookstore and got $25 worth of stuff, but we had a credit so I didn't spend anything. I will probably spend $100 in the next month or 2 for all 3 kids. I buy stuff on sale, even if I don't need it yet, so I have things for future years. The Internet and the public library are your friends! big smile mini

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM

We have a motto in our family...." a dollar isn't going to make or break us ".  So we make sure that what we want is budgeted into our every day needs.  If the item wanted isn't able to be budgeted into our every day needs, then we wait until we can budget it into our every day needs. And believe me, when you only get paid once a month, it isn't easy to do, but, it can be accomplished.

oredeb
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM

hahahahahhahahaaha

its hard i know not to go overboard!! so much great stuff! when i see something i like i either try to make it or buy it used or barter or borrow it!

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Its like buying shoes & clothes for other women!

kimscorner
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I LOVE that website!  I'm like you, it's so easy to spend way too much!  I also love the store, United Arts and Education.  I try not to go there much, because I know I'll buy more than what I intended when I go there.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I buy most of my decorations at the Dollar Tree.  I checked out the website and found 2 or 3 things that I really need.  It is so easy to get carried away when I am looking at school materials.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I always make as many things as I can!  Doing this helsps save a little $$ so I can get the things I REALLY need and can't make. 

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I completely understand... 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I feel guilty about spending money thats how I do it.  I always make a huge want list and if it is over 50 dollars I ussually feel guilty so I look for a cheaper way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN