Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

home schooling

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 4:21 AM
  • 6 Replies

i saw that you have to write a letter of intent ....was wondering ...if you don`t do that in the beginning of a new school year can you pull your kid out of school and do it at a later time during the school year?

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 4:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

In our state you can pull your kids out at any time. The only reason for our letter of intent is show we don't intend on enrolling the kids at all. If we don't they will send a truancy officer out to the house and possibly get CPS involved.

oredeb
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

each state is differnt mollysmom, some have differnt legal requirements, some dont have to do the 'letter of intent' here you can do it when you decide to hs (oregon) whats your state again?

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Like Debbie said, all states do it differently. Usually, they get turned in before the start of school each year. So, if you take them out mid-year, you file the letter before the start of the next year. However, some states also require a 2 week notice or some sort of letter BEFORE you take them out. Just make sure you are clear on the laws. Don't trust that anyone at the public school will be much help in this area, get the info yourself. HSLDA is a great start.

Good Luck!

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I agree with the others, learn the laws for your state.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 19, 2012 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I was going to say this!  Took the words right out my mouth. lol  : )

Quoting oredeb:

each state is differnt mollysmom, some have differnt legal requirements, some dont have to do the 'letter of intent' here you can do it when you decide to hs (oregon) whats your state again?

mollysmom212
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

thank you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN