Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What was the toughest thing you did while pregnant?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 6:02 AM
  • 5 Replies

8-Months Pregnant Olympian Deserves a Gold Medal Just for Showing Up

Posted by Lindsay Mannering on July 18, 2012 

air rifleAmateur air rifle shooters have a lot to take into consideration before they pull the trigger. There's the distance, the wind, the angle, the humidity ... but for Malaysian Olympian Nur Suryani Mohamed Taibi, there's another factor to be mindful of: baby kicks. When it comes time for Nur Suryani to compete in this summer's Games in London, she'll be eight months pregnant. The 29-year-old mom to be told The New York Times that training hasn't been hard, but it took a while to convince the government to let her compete in this "condition."

The IOC hasn't kept track of how many pregnant women have competed in the Games, but it's safe to say that Nur Suryani is one of the furthest along pregnant women that's ever gone for the gold. And what did YOU do today.

I feel pretty lame when I compare myself to Nur Suryani. I've neither made a baby, gotten a bull's eye, nor been honored to represent my country in the greatest sporting event of all time. This woman is like a superhero, and I bet seeing an eight-month pregnant woman with a gun is enough to intimidate definitely Robin, and probably Batman. I think she deserves her own D.C. series.

And in case you were wondering how she gets into shooting position with that protruding belly, she admits that it takes longer since she's pregnant, but that overall, it's helped her stability. She credits her weight-gain for a better sense of gravity.

When Nur Suryani's done shooting it up at the Olympics, I suppose she'll head home to shoot something else: a baby out of her body. Can't wait to cheer for her in the next few weeks -- anyone know how to say Go Nur Suryani, You Rock! in Malaysian?

What was the toughest thing you did while pregnant?

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 6:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
melindabelcher
by Mel on Jul. 19, 2012 at 6:42 AM
3 moms liked this
Worked 50-60hrs a week on overnights. After my shift I had to come home and take care of a toddler and preschooler until 5p when dh got home then slept from 6p-10p and rinse and repeat!
And I'm sorry but I don't consider her a "superhero" she enjoys what she does she trains hard and has great talent. She has an incredible opportunity to play at the games pregnant, and I commend her hard work.
However.....the real superheros are the wives/mothers of our fallen soldiers. Single moms who by no fault of there own find themselves alone raising children. Or the women who give up there careers and comfortable lifestyles to raise their children. These type of women and many many more are the real superheros!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 10:58 AM

running a crosscut saw

TracyBryant
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM
bump

SoInLoveYS
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Was hit by a car at 6wks, refused any pain killers .......man was that hard and very painful. But now I have a healthy baby boy2mo and I am awaiting the two surgeries I need from the accident.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Fell down the stairs in the 4th month.  Ripped the ligaments in my ankle.  On crutches or a boot for the rest of my first pregnancy.  It would swell like crazy, wouldn't heal.  Really sucked!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)