Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Michelle Duggar ’19 Kids and Counting’ homeschooling mom on field trips, college

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 6:45 AM
  • 6 Replies

Michelle Duggar, the homeschooling matriarch of the hit show “19 Kids and Counting” shared some homeschooling tips on her official blog on July 6, 2012 and discussed the Duggar family’s favorite homeschool field trip. The post followed a previous homeschooling related entry that discussed her older children taking online college courses and the benefits from doing so. Michelle Duggar stated the family’s favorite field trip is to Washington D.C.

The Duggar family blog is hosted on TLC and the site is very homeschooling friendly as there are multiple homeschooling related articles discussing everything from homeschool proms to spousal support and homeschooling. Many view the Duggars as homeschool leaders as they have invited television cameras into their home to see how they tackle issues that arise from parenting so many children. The Duggars have written multiple books that address homeschooling as well.

In the video to the left, Michelle Duggar discussed the homeschooling curriculum she uses. She stated the children between grades kindergarten and third grade use work books, while the older children complete school online. The Duggar family uses the Switched on Schoolhouse curriculum by Alpha and Omega publications. Alpha Omega conducted an interview with Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar regarding their homeschooling methods and they revealed the children begin lessons with family devotions at approximately 8 am, and conclude with free time and dinner at 5 pm. The children also have regular Bible study time with their father at 9 pm and then are in bed by 10 pm.

Michelle Duggar answered a question that many homeschooling parents face, regardless of whether they homeschool 3, 5, or like the Duggars, more than a dozen children. Alpha Omega asked how the Duggars provide individual time and attention to each child as well as find time for themselves.

Michelle Duggar responded by saying, “To give each child one-on-one time, I take one with me each time I need to run an errand. As soon as we walk out the door, I start to ask how they are doing, what they are thinking, feeling, and so on. We believe in doing things together as a family, so we do not run to different activities for each child. We enjoy music, play baseball with friends, and do other outside activities together as a family. Since I'm a night owl, I get my alone time with the Lord when everyone else is asleep, in the "night watches" (Psalms 119:148)."

Homeschoolers, as well as unschoolers, readily embrace the philosophy that all the world is a classroom and look for educational and learning opportunities in a wide array of settings, and not just in textbooks. For many, a trip to the post office, grocery store, or even doctor’s appointment quickly becomes a homeschooling lesson.

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 6:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
melindabelcher
by Mel on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:05 AM
I <3 the Duggars!!! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moma3boyz
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:59 AM
They are part of the reasons I decided that I could homeschool. I figured that if she could hs with that many kids, I could hs 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I love how they are as a family. They inspired me with homeschooling. However, I do think they are a wee bit crazy for having all those kids. My feelings tho; they can afford them without the government so more power to them. I might have to check out SOS now... However I am perfectly content with what I put together as well.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I really don't know where Michelle Duggar gets all that energy!

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Good article!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Quoting gacgbaker:

Michelle Duggar, the homeschooling matriarch of the hit show “19 Kids and Counting” shared some homeschooling tips on her official blog on July 6, 2012 and discussed the Duggar family’s favorite homeschool field trip. The post followed a previous homeschooling related entry that discussed her older children taking online college courses and the benefits from doing so. Michelle Duggar stated the family’s favorite field trip is to Washington D.C.

The Duggar family blog is hosted on TLC and the site is very homeschooling friendly as there are multiple homeschooling related articles discussing everything from homeschool proms to spousal support and homeschooling. Many view the Duggars as homeschool leaders as they have invited television cameras into their home to see how they tackle issues that arise from parenting so many children. The Duggars have written multiple books that address homeschooling as well.

In the video to the left, Michelle Duggar discussed the homeschooling curriculum she uses. She stated the children between grades kindergarten and third grade use work books, while the older children complete school online. The Duggar family uses the Switched on Schoolhouse curriculum by Alpha and Omega publications. Alpha Omega conducted an interview with Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar regarding their homeschooling methods and they revealed the children begin lessons with family devotions at approximately 8 am, and conclude with free time and dinner at 5 pm. The children also have regular Bible study time with their father at 9 pm and then are in bed by 10 pm.

Michelle Duggar answered a question that many homeschooling parents face, regardless of whether they homeschool 3, 5, or like the Duggars, more than a dozen children. Alpha Omega asked how the Duggars provide individual time and attention to each child as well as find time for themselves.

Michelle Duggar responded by saying, “To give each child one-on-one time, I take one with me each time I need to run an errand. As soon as we walk out the door, I start to ask how they are doing, what they are thinking, feeling, and so on. We believe in doing things together as a family, so we do not run to different activities for each child. We enjoy music, play baseball with friends, and do other outside activities together as a family. Since I'm a night owl, I get my alone time with the Lord when everyone else is asleep, in the "night watches" (Psalms 119:148)."

Homeschoolers, as well as unschoolers, readily embrace the philosophy that all the world is a classroom and look for educational and learning opportunities in a wide array of settings, and not just in textbooks. For many, a trip to the post office, grocery store, or even doctor’s appointment quickly becomes a homeschooling lesson.

I love Michelle Duggar's response to the question of ".... how do you provide individual attention to each child .... "? 

My response has,  is and always will be..... You do what you have to do, in order to accomplish what must/needs to be done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)