Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Organized my curriculum and made a schedule...

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:20 AM
  • 5 Replies

Last night I spent a few hours organizing my curriculum for the upcoming school year. We will officially start Aug. 1st. I also made a subject schedule, an attendence record, and a "grade" book. I was one busy mom last night but I feel accomplished. I think this year will be fun. I know it will have it's trials but I know the kids will learn a bunch. 

I visited family last week and my aunt was trying to convince me that homeschooling wasn't a good option. She kept going on and on about it. She would say that, "If you put Aiden in real school; you will have more time for the other kids." Or, "What are you going to do with the baby while you school the other two?" She just kept going on and on about why I should traditional school. I was getting annoyed. I tried to explain to her how homeschooled kids score higher on standarized tests and how they tend to be better in any type of social situation because they haven't been stuck in just groups of their own age. I also tried to explain to her that my kid will learn more in my first grade then they would at a public school or even private school setting. Anyways it feel on deaf ears. I decided to just smile and nod. I bought the stuff, I am organized and I have the confidence that I can homeschool them properly.

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mynameismuerte
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Even the most respected and educated people don't always get it. You may have to just not engage people like that and say, "we'll have to agree to disagree and I have nothing else to say about it."

What a great accomplishment on getting everything organized.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

My son likes to quote the penguins from Madagascar when my in-laws start their crap... "Just smile and wave, boys."

I'm so jealous that you are all organized and ready to go!  Although we don't start until September, I'm feeling ready to get at it.  Started emailing to ask where my stuff is and when it's coming!

melindabelcher
by Mel on Jul. 19, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Sorry your getting crap from family. You know your making the best choice for your family!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM
My brother doesn't believe in homeschooling and I hear it ALL the time. According to him, my kids will not learn anything and therefore not amount to anything if I continue this non-sense. And they will have no social skills and be "hermits". Mind you, his oldest is 24 and spends him time surfing the world on his mothers dime andvthen valet.parks when she doesn't give him enough money, his middle is 20 and does pizza delvery, lives at home, and takes 1 class at a JC and his youngest is 19, sleeps on his moms couch and his a busser at a restsurant. He at least wants to be a chef at some point...but is doing nothing about it. My brother himself didn't have his first job until he was 34 and on divorce number 1 (he is working on marriage 3 at 48) after three failed trips to Betty Ford (he has been clean now, though, for 12 years), and after spending millions on toys and losing it all in his first of two bankruptcies. He was just convicted (this week) of shoplifting at Walmart, even though he makes over 200,000 a year.

All products of public or private schools. Yup, I am reslly screwing my kids up!!!!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM

go for it chot!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN